Paul Joannides (art historian)
Joannides is employed by the Dept. of History of Art at the University of Cambridge. He was Assistant Lecturer 1973-1978, lecturer 1978-2002 and reader in art history 2002-2004. He has been working as Professor of art history since 2004. He was chargé de mission of the Musée du Louvre from 1991 to 1992. He is member of the Société de l'Histoire de l'Art Français.
Books published by him
- The Drawings of Raphael, Phaidon Press 1983.
- Masaccio and Masolino, Phaidon Press, 1993.
- Titian to 1518: The Assumption of Genius, Yale University Press, 2001.
Books co-edited by him
- Reactions to the Master: Responses to Michelangelo in the sixteenthcentury, co-edited with Francis Ames-Lewis, Ashgate Press, 2003.
- Michelangelo and his Influence, exhibition of 68 drawings for the Royal Collection, circulated in three venues in the United States and two in the UK, October 1996-April 1998, The National Gallery of Art, Washington and Lund Humphries, London, 1996.
- Raphael and His Age - Drawings from the Palais des Beaux-Arts, Lille, exhibition of 57 drawings shown at the Cleveland Museum of Art, and the Palais des Beaux-Arts, Lille, 2002-2003. Published in English and in French by the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Réunion des Musées.
- Late Raphael, (co-curated with Tom Henry), exhibition at the Prado and Musée du Louvre 2012-2013.
- Michel-Ange, Ecole, Copistes, Inventaire des Dessins Italiens, Musée du Louvre, Réunion des Musées Nationaux, 2003.
- The Drawings by Michelangelo and his followers in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, CUP, 2007.
His second wife was art historian Marianne Ysobel Joannides, née Sachs, who died of cancer aged 61 at home in Saffron Walden on 23 March 2007. She had taught history of art at the University of Kent at Canterbury, and was latterly employed at Bonhams auctioneers in London as a consultant in old master drawings. Whilst working at Phillips Auctioneers in 1994 she arranged a loan exhibition in London of Master Drawings from the De Pass Collection, Royal Cornwall Museum, Truro (Catalogue ISBN 0-9507943-1-7).
- University of Cambridge (2008). Paul Joannides[permanent dead link]. Cambridge: University of Cambridge. Accessed 27 April 2008.
- Book Country (2008). Raphael and His Age - Drawings from the Palais Des Beaux-arts, Lille.. Mount Vernon: Book Country. Accessed 27 April 2008.
- Book Country (2008). The Drawings Of Michelangelo And His Followers In The Ashmolean Museum.. Mount Vernon: Book Country. Accessed 27 April 2008.