Paul K. Holmes III
|Paul Kinloch Holmes III|
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas|
February 14, 2012
|Preceded by||Jimm Larry Hendren|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas|
February 8, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Robert T. Dawson|
|United States Attorney for the Western District of Arkansas|
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Michael Fitzhugh|
|Succeeded by||Thomas Gean|
|Born||Paul Kinloch Holmes III
November 10, 1951
|Education||Westminster College, Missouri B.A.
University of Arkansas School of Law J.D.
Paul Kinloch Holmes III (born November 10, 1951) is the Chief United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas.
Early life and education
Holmes was born in Newport, Arkansas on November 10, 1951. Holmes earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri, in 1973 and a Juris Doctor from the University of Arkansas School of Law in 1978.
From 2001 until his appointment to the federal bench, Holmes worked in private legal practice in Fort Smith.
Federal judicial service
On April 28, 2010, President Obama nominated Holmes to the seat on the Western District of Arkansas that was vacated when Judge Robert T. Dawson took senior status on August 14, 2009. Holmes' nomination lapsed at the end of 2010, and he was renominated by Obama on January 5, 2011. The United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary voted to advance Holmes' nomination to the full United States Senate on February 3, 2011. The United States Senate confirmed Holmes' nomination on February 7, 2011 by a vote of 95-0. He received his commission on February 8, 2011.
He became Chief Judge on February 14, 2012, succeeding Jimm Larry Hendren.
- "Paul K. Holmes, III - Lawyer Profile". Martindale.
- "Pryor, Lincoln push for Holmes' confirmation as new federal judge". Magnolia Reporter. December 1, 2010.
- White House: Office of the Press Secretary (April 28, 2010). "President Obama Names Three to the United States District Court". whitehouse.gov.
- The City Wire staff (December 16, 2009). "P.K. Holmes recommended for Western District Federal Judge". The City Wire.
- Tetreault, Steve (February 3, 2011). "Senate Committee Advances P.K. Holmes". Southwest Times Record.
- Paul K. Holmes III at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Jimm Larry Hendren
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
Robert T. Dawson
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas