Paul Kelly (fighter)
|Paul Anthony Kelly|
12 September 1984|
|Criminal penalty||13 years in prison|
12 September 1984|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Liverpool, England|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Paul Anthony Kelly (born 12 September 1984) is a former English mixed martial artist who is best known for his nine fight stint in the Ultimate Fighting Championship and is currently serving a 13-year prison sentence for heroin trafficking.
Mixed martial arts career
Kelly started out in Liverpool, England at the Wolfslair MMA academy which was once home to The Ultimate Fighter 3 winner Michael Bisping. However, he later moved across town to Team Kaobon, home of former UFC lightweight Terry Etim and retired UFC lightweight Paul Taylor.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
He made his UFC debut at UFC 80: Rapid Fire, where he won a decision victory over his opponent Paul Taylor. Kelly and Taylor were both awarded $35,000 as a bonus for Fight of the Night. The fight was ranked #100 on UFC's Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights.
Kelly was scheduled to fight Jonathan Goulet at UFC 85, but Goulet pulled out citing a lack of preparation. Before another opponent was found, Kelly himself had to withdraw from the event after injuring his right hand during training.
Kelly defeated Troy Mandaloniz at UFC 95. Kelly battered Mandaloniz from top position throughout the fight. He opened cuts above both of Mandaloniz's eyes with elbows and punches. The judges scored the fight (30–27, 30–27, 30–28) for a unanimous decision for Kelly.
Kelly lost his fight against Dennis Siver at UFC 105 after having his ribs injured by a spinning back kick and getting hit by punches from Siver. This was his first fight under Team Kaobon. Kelly revealed afterwards that his ribs had already been damaged going into the fight, a by-product of the notoriously hard-contact sparring sessions at Kaobon.
This was then intended to be followed up with a fight against Jacob Volkmann at the UFC 116 prelims, on 3 July. However, the fight was moved on 1 August, to the UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko card due to visa issues forcing him out of the 116 card. Volkmann went on to defeat Kelly via unanimous decision (all judges scoring the bout 30–27).
Kelly was expected to face Gabe Ruediger on 20 November 2010, at UFC 123. However, Ruediger was forced out of the bout with a groin injury. Ruediger was replaced by TUF 12 competitor TJ O'Brien. After initially struggling to hit O'Brien's chin, due to the height disadvantage, Kelly was able to connect and dropped O'Brien with a combination. Later in the second round, Kelly secured a crucifix and hit O'Brien with multiple elbows, resulting in a TKO stoppage.
Kelly was expected to face Sam Stout on 5 February 2011, at UFC 126, but Stout was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by Donald Cerrone. Kelly lost to Cerrone via submission due to a rear-naked choke. Although he lost, the performance earned him and Cerrone Fight of the Night honors.
In the aftermath of his loss to Cerrone, Kelly was released from the promotion, leaving the company with a 5-4 record.
Kelly was expected to face Afakasi Sione at UCMMA 21 in England, 25 June. However, due to an injury Kelly had to withdraw from the bout.
Kelly was expected to fight at Legacy FC 9 on 16 Dec. 2011 against Jeff Rexroad. However, Kelly pulled out of the fight due to visa issues and has been replaced by Efrain Escudero, However, Efrain was resigned to the UFC, causing him to withdraw from the bout.
Super Fight League
There has been an ongoing feud between Kelly and Richard Griffin over the last few weeks which has resulted in them being booked to fight at UCMMA 31. They were having a disagreement over a fight that Richard Griffin and Ross Pointon had in the Dominican Republic that was recently posted on the UCMMA Facebook page. Kelly stated that he thought Griffin was lucky in his fight with Pointon and that "The Real Deal" would win that match-up 9 times out of ten. Griffin felt disrespected and fired back with some insults of his own, which including jabs at Kelly being dropped by the UFC. Both men then called for a fight in the cage to settle the matter, in which Dave O’Donnell decided to approach both men to arrange the fight.
Kelly and Griffin settled this feud on 1 December with Kelly winning via guillotine choke in the second round.
Kelly had his first child, a daughter named Phoebe in June 2008.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||14 wins||5 losses|
|Win||14–5||Henrique Santana||TKO (punches)||UWC 22||2 March 2013||1||3:47||Essex, England, United Kingdom|
|Win||13–5||Richard Griffin||Submission (guillotine choke)||UCMMA 31||1 December 2012||2||2:52||London, England, United Kingdom||Welterweight bout|
|Loss||12–5||Ryan Healy||Decision (unanimous)||SFL 2||7 April 2012||3||5:00||Chandigarh, India|
|Loss||12–4||Donald Cerrone||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 126||5 February 2011||2||3:48||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Win||12–3||TJ O'Brien||TKO (elbows)||UFC 123||20 November 2010||2||3:16||Auburn Hills, Michigan, United States|
|Loss||11–3||Jacob Volkmann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko||1 August 2010||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||11–2||Matt Veach||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 112||10 April 2010||2||3:41||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Loss||10–2||Dennis Siver||TKO (spinning back kick and punches)||UFC 105||14 November 2009||2||2:53||Manchester, England|
|Win||10–1||Rolando Delgado||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 99||13 June 2009||3||5:00||Cologne, Germany||Debut at Lightweight|
|Win||9–1||Troy Mandaloniz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 95||21 February 2009||3||5:00||London, England|
|Loss||8–1||Marcus Davis||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 89||18 October 2008||2||2:16||Birmingham, England|
|Win||8–0||Paul Taylor||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 80||19 January 2008||3||5:00||Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Fight of the Night|
|Win||7–0||Jordan James||TKO (punches)||Cage Gladiators 4: Prepare for Glory||5 August 2007||2||2:40||Liverpool, England|
|Win||6–0||Sami Berik||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cage Warriors: Enter The Rough House 3||21 July 2007||1||1:27||Nottingham, England|
|Win||5–0||Marius Liaukevicius||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Clash of Warriors||14 July 2007||1||1:10||England|
|Win||4–0||Bruce Davis||TKO (doctor stoppage)||House of Pain Fight Night 6: The Real Deal||30 July 2006||1||3:38||Swansea, Wales||Won Middleweight title|
|Win||3–0||James Neal||TKO (punches)||Ultimate Force||26 November 2006||1||3:02||South Yorkshire, England|
|Win||2–0||Nigel Whitear||TKO (punches)||FX3: Battle of Britain||15 October 2005||1||0:54||England|
|Win||1–0||Ian McAleese||TKO (punches)||CWFC: Quest 2||29 July 2005||1||1:21||England|
- Malone, Kieran. "Wolfslair Academy adds Kongo, Ghosn, Rodriguez as training partners". MMAjunkie.
- Stupp, Dan. "UFC 80: Rapid Fire -- Live Results and Round-by-Round Updates". MMAjunkie.
- Stupp, Dann. "UFC Issues $140,000 in UFC 80 "Fight Night" Bonuses". MMAjunkie.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 February 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2009.
- Knapp, Brian. "'Cigano' Chops Down Struve at UFC 95; Etim Topples Cobb on Prelims". Sherdog.
- ""UFC 95: Sanchez vs. Stevenson" official results and round-by-round updates". MMAjunkie.
- "UFC's Paul Kelly moving from welterweight to lightweight". MMAjunkie.
- "Exlcusive: Paul Kelly v Dennis Siver at UFC 105". Fighters Only. Archived from the original on 14 September 2009. Retrieved 20 August 2009.
- "Lightweight Paul Kelly returns at UFC 112". MMAjunkie.
- Stupp, Dann (11 May 2010). "Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann now official for UFC 116 preliminary card". MMAJunkie. Archived from the original on 14 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann moved from UFC 116 to UFC on Versus 2". MMAjunkie. Archived from the original on 4 August 2010.
- "RUEDIGER VS. KELLY SET FOR UFC 123". mmaweekly.com. Archived from the original on 10 September 2010. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "Injured Gabe Ruediger out of UFC 123 prelim fight with Paul Kelly". mmajunkie.com. 25 October 2010. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012.
- "T.J. O'Brien Steps in for Injured Ruediger Vs Paul Kelly". www.fullmount.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "UFC 123 preliminary card recap: Brian Foster taps Matt Brown in second". mmajunkie.com. 20 November 2010.
- "Sam Stout vs. Paul Kelly for UFC 126". fightersonly.com. 24 November 2010.
- "Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone Steps In To Face Paul Kelly At UFC 126". mmaweekly.com. 3 January 2011.
- "British striker Paul Kelly released from UFC following loss to Donald Cerrone at UFC 126". fiveknuckles.com. 13 February 2011.
- "Paul Kelly out, Efrain Escudero in at HDNet's Legacy Fighting Championships 9". MMAjunkie. Archived from the original on 4 December 2011.
- "Super Fight League announces the signing of Paul Kelly, Professor X, and Lena Ochynnikova". ProMMANow.com. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "SFL 2 Results: Duffee Knocks Out Grove, Shlemenko Rolls and Calls Out Lombard". mmaweekly.com. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- "PAUL KELLY VS. RICHARD GRIFFIN – UCMMA 31". thefightlounge.co.uk. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Exclusive: Paul Kelly on Marcus Davis, the UFC and sparring with Rampage". FightersOnlyMagazine.com. 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-10-16.