21 January 1923|
Kingdom of Romania
29 August 1985 (aged 62)|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Born in Romania, he emigrated to Canada where he spent his youth in Winnipeg and studied at the University of Manitoba. He moved to Toronto in 1950 and established his career there. In addition to appearing in CBC Television's 1952 Sunshine Sketches, he was a featured performer with Wayne and Shuster since the comedy duo's early television broadcasts.
He is most famous for his voice acting in various animated television series, especially in the 1960s The Marvel Super Heroes (1966) and Spider-Man (1967), both from Marvel Comics as the first voices of J. Jonah Jameson, General Ross, Red Skull, Krang, Mole Man and Power Man (Erik Josten). He voiced numerous gruff characters, including Donner and Coach Comet, in the 1964 Rankin-Bass adaptation of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
- Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer - TV special - Donner / Clarice's Father / Comet the Coach (1964)
- Captain America - Red Skull / Additional Voices (1966)
- The Marvel Super Heroes - General Thunderbolt Ross / Red Skull / Warlord Krang / additional voices (1966)
- Hulk - General 'Thunderbolt' Ross (1966)
- Spider-Man - J. Jonah Jameson / Police officer / Harry / additional voices (1967-1970)
- Willy McBean and his Magic Machine - Additional voices (1965)
- Kligman, Paul (1975). It All Ends Up in a Shopping Bag: An Autobiographical Novel. McClelland and Stewart. ISBN 0-7710-4524-7.
|This article about a Canadian television actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Canadian voice actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|