Landers performing "Feuer Frei" with Rammstein
|Birth name||Heiko Paul Hiersche|
9 December 1964 |
Berlin, East Germany
|Genres||Neue Deutsche Härte|
|Instruments||Guitar, backing vocals|
|Labels||Motor Music, Republic, Slash, Universal Music Group|
|Associated acts||Rammstein, Feeling B, First Arsch, Die Firma, Die Magdalene Keibel Combo, New Affaire|
|Music Man EVH Signature and Axis (former)
ESP Paul Landers Eclipse
Gibson Paul Landers Signature Les Paul
Paul was born in East Berlin, Germany. His mother was born in Poland and his father came from the former German areas of Czechoslovakia. He lived in Moscow for a short time as a child. Landers can speak Russian a little; however, he can not read or write it.
In 1983, Paul Landers formed the East German punk band, Feeling B, together with Christian "Flake" Lorenz and Aljoscha Rompe, in which Christoph Schneider would later also play. In 1984, Landers formed First Arsch with Till Lindemann and Richard Kruspe. He also played in a number of other bands including Die Firma and Die Magdalene Keibel Combo.
Lindemann, Kruspe, Schneider and bassist Oliver "Ollie" Riedel entered and won the Berlin Senate Metro Beat Contest in 1994 that enabled them to have a four-track demo professionally recorded. Landers and Flake soon followed suit to join the band which became known as Rammstein.
Oddly, he has stated that he used to not like rock, but "with Rammstein it seems to work".
When he married Nikki Landers in 1984 (at the age of 20), he took his wife's surname and switched his middle and first name, thus making his name Paul Landers. After their divorce in 1987, he kept her last name. Paul also has a son from a previous marriage, Emil Reinke (b. 20 June 1990), who is an actor.
He is the shortest member of the band at 173 centimetres (5 ft 8 in)
- Gibson Paul Landers Signature Satin Black with grey binding; has 2 chrome covered EMG pickups, chrome bezels, and one volume knob. Used in Dropped C and D tunings. First used during the Liebe Ist fur Alle Da tour. Was revealed as a signature model and for sale at the 2012 Winter NAMM show. (2009–2012)
- Gibson Les Paul Studio All black with EMG pickups. Used in Drop C and Standard tuning. Used in Standard tuning only for performing "Rammstein". Only used during the Reise, Reise tour. (2004–2005, Black).
- Music Man Axis and Van Halen Signature model Orange w/ Quilted maple top (Van Halen Signature), Silver (Van Halen Signature), Silver/Black Pickguard (Van Halen Signature), Maroon w/ Black pickguard, Black w/ White pickguard; Had stock DiMarzio pickups, but later changed for EMG pickups in 2004. Used in Dropped D and Standard tuning. This was his main guitar since the beginning of Rammstein, but was used less often during the Reise, Reise tour, and then completely phased out of his guitar rotation during the Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da Tour.(1994–2005)
- ESP Eclipse I CTM Paul Landers Signature Satin black with Silver binding, and a recently released version in Satin silver with Black binding, has EMG Pickups. Used in Standard tuning. First used on tour during the Liebe Ist fur Alle Da tour. (2009–2010)
- Sandberg Custom Plasma Guitar Clear acrylic guitar with unknown pickups (Possibly custom Sandberg pickups) and white LEDs inside of the body. This guitar was only used a few times during the Mutter tour for the song Zwitter, and he hasn't played it since. He can be seen using it on a bootleg DVD which contains a performance in Hamburg during the 2001 Mutter tour and a performance at the London Docklands during the 2002 Mutter tour.
- Ibanez AXS32 See-thru red with silver pickguard, used in Drop C. Was mostly used during the Reise, Reise tour for "Morgenstern" and "Stein um Stein." Has not been used since.
- ESP-LTD EC-50 Used as a prop instrument for the music video of "Mann gegen Mann".
- Fender Jazzmaster Used as a prop instrument for the music video of "Mein Land".
- Fractal Axe-FX into Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp
- Bogner Uberschall (He claims he began to use this amp because of the "Ultrasonic" Uberschall simulator in Native Instruments Guitar Rig, Former rig)
- Tech 21 PSA-1 into Mesa/Boogie Strategy 500 Power amp (Former rig)
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
- ENGL Powerball Amplifier (Former rig)
- Rath-Amp Amplification
- Marshall JCM 800
- Soldano Avenger
- Marshall 4x12 Cabinets
- Bogner 4x12 "Uberkab" Cabinets
- Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cabinets
- Engl 4x12 Cabinets
- Native Instruments Guitar Rig
- MXR blue box on "Moskau"
- Eventide Eclipse
- "Paul Landers Equipment | Rammstein Europe". Affenknecht.com. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "ESP Eclipse-I CTM Paul Landers". B-Music.com.au. Archived from the original on 27 October 2009. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "Rammstein Hamburg 2001 Zwitter". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Rammstein – Zwitter live London Docklands 2002 Mutter Tour". YouTube. 6 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Rammstein (2011). "Pussy (+ Making Of)". Made in Germany 1995–2011 Super Deluxe Edition (DVD).
- "Bogner Custom Shop". Bogneramplification.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Rammstein (2011). "Keine Lust". Made in Germany 1995–2011 Super Deluxe Edition (DVD).