|26th Mayor of Nelson|
|Preceded by||Philip Woollaston|
|Succeeded by||Kerry Marshall|
|Born||Paul Kenneth Matheson
Huntly, New Zealand
Paul Kenneth Matheson QSO JP (born 1947) is a New Zealand politician. He was mayor of Nelson from 1998 to 2007, and has subsequently been a Nelson city councillor since 2010. He is currently the deputy mayor of Nelson.
Early life and family
He first became involved in politics through membership of the New Zealand Young Nationals in the late 1960s, and served as that organization's president from 1972 to 1973. He stood as the National candidate for the Sydenham electorate at the 1975 general election, but was defeated by the incumbent, John Kirk.
Matheson was elected to the Nelson City Council in 1989. At the next local-body election in 1992 he did not stand for council, but instead ran for the mayoralty and was defeated by Philip Woollaston. Matheson was returned as a city councillor in 1995 and was elected mayor of Nelson in 1998, this time defeating Woollaston. He was re-elected mayor in 2001 and 2004 but stood down at the 2007 election. He also served as the national chair of the Mayors Taskforce for Jobs youth scheme.
In 2010, Matheson returned to local-body politics and was elected once again as a Nelson city councillor. He was, however, unsuccessful in his bid for a seat on the Nelson Marlborough District Health Board. He was re-elected as a city councillor in 2013 and was appointed deputy mayor of Nelson.
Matheson's wife, Juliana, died of cancer just six weeks before he took office as mayor, and since that time he has been a fundraiser for the Nelson Cancer Society's Daffodil Day appeal. He has three adult children.
- Collett, Geoff (20 October 2001). "Meeting Mr Mayor". Nelson Mail. p. 13.
- "Woollaston beaten". The Press. 12 October 1998. p. 4.
- Neal, Tracy (28 September 2007). "Matheson gives his final farewell". Nelson Mail. p. 3. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Matheson dedicates QSO to his children". Nelson Mail. 31 December 2007. p. 3. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "New Year honours list 2008". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 31 December 2007. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- Collett, Geoff (11 October 2010). "City opts for familiar faces from present and past". Nelson Mail. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Nelson Marlborough District Health Board results". Marlborough Express. 11 October 2010. p. 3.
- Neal, Tracy (25 October 2013). "Former mayor confirmed as Reese's deputy". Nelson Mail. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Picnic time for Nats". Nelson Mail. 19 August 2011. p. 3.
- Neal, Tracy (12 October 2007). "End of an era for mayoral minder". Nelson Mail. p. 1. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Mayor reflects on Daffodil Days". Nelson Mail. 31 August 2007. p. 3. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
|Mayor of Nelson