Paul McCreesh is founder and artistic director of the Gabrieli Consort & Players. He has previously been the artistic director of the Wratislavia Cantans Festival in Wrocław, Poland and of the Brinkburn Festival in England. With the Gabrieli Consort & Players, McCreesh has performed in major concert halls and festivals across the world. In 2005 Loughborough University conferred on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Letters.
Repertoire and performance
Paul McCreesh specialises in the music of the Renaissance and Baroque periods. He also works with modern instrument orchestras including the DSO Berlin, RSO Berlin, Zurich Chamber Orchestra, Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Minnesota Orchestra, Gothenburg Symphony, Sinfónica de Euskadi, Stockholm Philharmonic and Beethovenhalle Bonn, the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra and the Orchestra Sinfonica dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia di Roma.
McCreesh began his career as a cellist and took his MusB from the University of Manchester in 1981.
The Gramophone Award winning album "Venetian Coronation" (released on Virgin Classics in 1990) represented a breakthrough for the Gabrieli Consort and Players. A new version of this musical reconstruction of the coronation of Marino Grimani was released in 2012 on Winged Lion. (Winged Lion is an independent label, which McCreesh established in 2011 as a subsidiary of Signum Records).
Paul McCreesh has built a large discography for Deutsche Grammophon.
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
McCreesh has conducted Handel's Jephtha for Welsh National Opera and Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice, as well as Mozart's The Magic Flute for Royal Danish Opera and, for Komische Oper Berlin, a new David Alden staging of Handel's Alcina. He has also conducted Handel's Rodelinda at the Beaune Festival and at the Brinkburn Festival, which he founded and directs.
- "Birthdays today". The Telegraph. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
Mr Paul McCreesh, founder, director and conductor, Gabrieli Consort and Players, 53
- Rogers, Graham. "Venetian Coronation". BBC. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Gill, Andy (2012). "Album: Paul McCreesh, Gabrieli Consort & Players A New Venetian Coronation 1595 (Signum)". Independent.co.uk. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- Paul McCreesh's management website (Rayfield Allied)
- The Gabrieli Consort & Players
- The Monteverdi violins Info about the Gabrielis' replica Baroque violins
- "MozartCircle Interview: 10 Questions with Paul McCreesh". 1 May 2017.