Paul Mitchell (hairdresser)
Cyril Thomson Mitchell
January 27, 1936
|Died||April 21, 1989 (aged 53)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Known for||Co-founding John Paul Mitchell Systems|
Paul Mitchell (born Cyril Thomson Mitchell; January 27, 1936 – April 21, 1989) was a Scottish American hairstylist and co-founder of the hair care product company John Paul Mitchell Systems in 1980. Paul Mitchell the School was later inspired in 2000, now with over 100 locations.
His mother Jenny was Carnwath's first hairdresser. Mitchell was very proud of his Scottish roots and was reportedly "a Scot through and through." His family moved to London in 1939. He trained as a silversmith before following in his mother's footsteps. At age sixteen, Mitchell enrolled in the Morris School of Hairdressing in London, and by eighteen, had won multiple hairdressing competitions.
Mitchell married a Polish-Filipina fashion model and actress named Jolina Wyrzykowski. Their only child, Angus Mitchell, was born in 1970. In 1974, Mitchell sold his New York City salon Superhair and moved to Hawaii.
- Estate Of Paul Mitchell, Deceased, Patrick T
- "Hair-care giant targets crooks: Head of John Paul Mitchell Systems uses street smarts". The Albany Herald. June 13, 1999.
- Zimmerman, Michael. "Paul Mitchell the School | Sacramento, CA | MTI College". MTI College. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Our Company". Paulmitchell.com. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- Clydesdale, Lindsay (9 September 2010). "I inherited my famous dad's skills.. and his love of Scotland, says celebrity hairstylist Angus Mitchell". The Daily Record. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- "Icons: Paul Mitchell". Focus on Hair. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- Paul Mitchell: Man, Work Vision. Who Was He? Jocelyn Fujii.