Paul Mitchell (hairdresser)
Cyril Thomson Mitchell
January 27, 1936
|Died||April 21, 1989 (aged 53)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Known for||Co-founding John Paul Mitchell Systems|
Paul Mitchel (born Cyril Thomson Mitchell; January 27, 1936 – April 21, 1989) was a Scottish American hairstylist and co-founder of John Paul Mitchell Systems, a company that sells hair care products and, since 2000, also runs hairdressing schools.
Paul Mitchell was born in Carnwath in Scotland. His mother Jenny was the village's first hairdresser. His family moved to London in 1939. He trained as a silversmith before enrolling in the Morris School of Hairdressing at age sixteen. By eighteen he had won multiple hairdressing competitions.
After graduating he worked as a hairdresser in London salons, moving to Vidal Sassoon's in Bond Street in the early 1960s. In 1965, Sassoon sent him to New York City to train staff at his first location in the United States. Mitchell left Sassoon's employ in 1967 and headed up Crimpers, a salon within the Henri Bendel flagship store on Fifth Avenue. Its success led to further branches opening in Boston, Chicago, Dallas and Philadelphia. In 1971 he took a break from hairdressing before opening his salon Superhair in New York in 1972. In 1974 he sold Superhair and moved to Hawaii. By the end of the 1970s he demonstrated hairdressing techniques at up to 150 beauty shows per year.
In 1980 he and John Paul DeJoria founded John Paul Mitchell Systems, selling hair care products via hair salons under the Paul Mitchell brand name, marketed as professional quality products for home use. The company thrived and later expanded into hairdressing schools.
Mitchell married Jolina Zandueta Wyrzykowski, an American fashion model and actress with Polish-Filipina family roots. Their only child, Angus Mitchell, was born in 1970.
On July 18, 1988, Mitchell was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died in 1989 in Cedars Sinai Medical Center. He is buried on his estate on the Big Island of Hawaii. Angus inherited his father's share of John Paul Mitchell Systems & Schools and opened his own salon, AngusM in Beverly Hills, CA.
- Estate of Mitchell v. Commissioner: United States Tax Court
- "Hair-care giant targets crooks: Head of John Paul Mitchell Systems uses street smarts". The Albany Herald. June 13, 1999.
- Zimmerman, Michael. "Paul Mitchell the School | Sacramento, CA | MTI College". MTI College. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Our Company". Paulmitchell.com. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- Clydesdale, Lindsay (9 September 2010). "I inherited my famous dad's skills.. and his love of Scotland, says celebrity hairstylist Angus Mitchell". The Daily Record. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- "Cleverly Equipped Hairdressing Salon". New York Times. June 12, 1973. p. 50. Retrieved November 30, 2020.
- "Icons: Paul Mitchell". Focus on Hair. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "About". Angus Mitchell Salon. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- Paul Mitchell: Man, Work Vision. Who Was He? Jocelyn Fujii.