Paul Mitchell (hairdresser)
|Born||Cyril Thomson Mitchell
January 27, 1936
|Died||April 21, 1989
Los Angeles, California
|Known for||Co-founding John Paul Mitchell Systems|
Paul Mitchell, born Cyril Thomson Mitchell (January 27, 1936 - April 21, 1989), was a Scottish and American hairstylist and co-founder of the hair care product company John Paul Mitchell Systems in 1980.
His mother Jenny was Carnwath's first hairdresser. Mitchell was very proud of his Scottish roots and was reportedly "a Scot through and through." His family moved to London in 1939. He trained as a silver smith before following in his mother's footsteps. At age sixteen, Mitchell enrolled in Morris School of Hairdressing in London, and by eighteen, won multiple hairdressing competitions.
On July 18, 1988, Mitchell was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died in 1989 in Cedars Sinai Medical Center, leaving behind his son Angus, fiancee Millie, and mother Jenny. He is buried on his estate on the Big Island of Hawaii. Angus has carried on his father's legacy of John Paul Mitchell Systems & Schools (along with John Paul DeJoria) and created his own salon, AngusM in Beverly Hills, CA.
- Estate Of Paul Mitchell, Deceased, Patrick T
- "Hair-care giant targets crooks: Head of John Paul Mitchell Systems uses street smarts". The Albany Herald. June 13, 1999.
- "Our Company". Paulmitchell.com. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- Clydesdale, Lindsay (9 September 2010). "I inherited my famous dad's skills.. and his love of Scotland, says celebrity hairstylist Angus Mitchell". The Daily Record. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- "About". Angus Mitchell Salon. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- Paul Mitchell: Man, Work Vision. Who Was He? Jocelyn Fujii.