Papp lining up for Romania in 2012
|Date of birth||11 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Dej, Romania|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Right-back / Centre-back|
|2009–2010||→ Farul Constanța (loan)||12||(0)|
|2014||→ Astra Giurgiu (loan)||11||(1)|
|2014||→ Steaua București (loan)||10||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 June 2017|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 11 October 2015
In June 2008, Papp and teammate Adrian Boroştean were signed by FC Botoşani. At age 18, he wore the captain's armband, right on his league debut for his new team. He led his team to a 2–1 win against Dunărea Giurgiu. Two months later he led his team to a historical qualification to Romanian Cup's eighth finals, the highest performance for the past 20 years for Botoşani. Despite his team's up and down half season, Papp was voted the best central defender from Liga II by the reader of liga2.ro website In mid-2009 rumours began circulating that the club were in dire financial trouble and that new manager Alin Bejan would be forced to part with his star players for a substantial amount of cash. Although he was not on the transfer list, following his solid performances for Botoşani, many Liga I clubs linked the young defender. 
In February 2009, Papp and teammate Marius Ştefoi were signed by Vaslui that acquired 85% of the players rights. Papp made his Vaslui first-team debut on 17 May 2009 in a match against CS Otopeni as a late substitute for Marko Ljubinković. Struggling to find himself in Vaslui's first-team, on 9 September Papp was loaned out to Farul Constanţa in order to gain experience. Papp's career began to take-off when he was recalled from his loan due to his progress at Farul and was pushed into the first-team. On 1 February 2010, Papp was seen as a straight replacement for Dinamo captain Tamaş, after his departure, but Marius Lăcătuş rejected any offer for the young defender. On 21 February, he was in the startup team against Gaz Metan Mediaş, being handed the no. 3 shirt. On 22 March, he scored his first three-points goal for Vaslui, against Rapid Bucureşti. He scored his second goal on 10 May in a 2–1 win against Steaua Bucureşti, Papp scoring Vaslui's second 8 minutes until the final whistle. He missed a single match during the 2009–10 campaign, due to yellow card accumulation, and helped his team reaching the 3rd place in Liga I, and the Romanian Cup final, eventually lost at the penalty shootout. He played 120 full minutes, on 26 May, against CFR Cluj in the Romanian Cup final, and he was declared the Man of the Match by the Romanian Football Federation.
Papp shrugged off the utility tag and established himself as a centre half. He scored his season's first goal on 14 August, in a league match against FC Braşov. The final score was 2–1, with Papp scoring Vaslui's first with a header from Lucian Sânmărtean's corner. On 19 August, he made his European debut, playing 90 full minutes against French side Lille OSC. On 22 September, he partnered Gabriel Cânu in the central defense, for the first time. Vaslui conceding only 15 goals with Papp and Cânu in the startup team. He scored his fourth league goal for Vaslui on 6 November, in a 1–2 loss against FC Timişoara. He scored Vaslui's only goal with a volley from Adaílton's corner. One week later, he captained Vaslui for the first time, following Cânu's red card received in the previous round. On 6 December, Papp was awarded the Defender of The Year award from FRF at the Romanian Football Ceremony from Bucharest. On 7 March 2011, Papp scored a headed goal for Vaslui against Universitatea Cluj in his second league appearance from 2011 whilst making his appearance in an unfamiliar right-back position. Following Luz's long term-injury and Bălace's bad shape, Milanov was sent to play on the left side and Papp on the right. However, he was sent back in the central defense, following his unsuccessful try out. In his second season since his establishment in the first-team, he finished third with his team, for the second year in a row.
Following his injury suffered at Romania's training, Papp missed the Sparta Prague double. However, it is believed that he will be fit to play in the UEFA Europa League Group Stages. He made his come-back on 22 September, wearing the captain's armband and leading his team to an emphatic 8–0 victory over Voinţa Livezile, in the Romanian Cup.
Later that day, Vaslui owner Adrian Porumboiu confirmed that Chievo Verona acquired 75% of the player's rights. Media reports estimated the transfer fee to be between €1.5 million and €2.5 million.
On 26 January 2014, He went on loan to Astra Giurgiu for the remainder of the season.He scored the winning goal against Petrolul Ploiești in the second leg of the semi-final to qualify Astra who would then win the final against Steaua Bucharest on penalties.
On 29 August 2014, he went on loan to Steaua for one season with buy option. After a good start of season, which brought him back to the attention of the national team, Steaua offered him a contract for five seasons.
Following his successful loan to Farul, he was called up for the Romania Under-21 on 7 November 2009. Papp scored his first goal for the Romania Under-21 side, right on his debut match, in a qualification game for the 2011 European Under-21 Championship, against Latvia. He captained his side for the first time, following Torje and Găman's injuries, on 29 May 2010, in the friendly match, lost by Romania against Belarus. On 7 September, Papp was in the startup team for Romania U-21, in a 3–0 win against Russia. The win secured Romania a place in the playoff stage of the 2011 European Under-21 Championship qualifiers. However, he missed the chance to play at the 2011 European Under-21 Championship, after Romania lost the play-off over England.
The draw against England, was also his last match for Romania U-21, because on 28 January 2011, Papp was called up for the first time for the senior team of Romania. On 8 February 2011, he made his full debut for Romania, in a draw against Ukraine. He missed the second penalty from the penalty shootout. He played his first official match for Romania, in a qualification game for UEFA Euro 2012 against Bosnia and Herzegovina. On 8 June, he was in the startup team against Brazil in the Testimonial game of Ronaldo. On 5 August, Papp suffered a meniscus tear while he was training for Romania. The injury will force him out from the field for almost two months.
- Scores and results list Romania's goal tally first.
|1||15 August 2012||Stadion Stožice, Ljubljana, Slovenia||Slovenia||1–2||3–4||Friendly match|
|2||14 November 2014||Arena Națională, Bucharest, Romania||Northern Ireland||1–0||2–0||Euro 2016 qualifier|
|Correct as of 13 January 2017|
|Astra Giurgiu||2013–14 (loan)||11||1||1||1||—||—||—||12||2|
|Steaua București||2014–15 (loan)||20||2||5||0||3||0||6||0||—||34||2|
- "P. PAPP" (in Romanian). soccerway.com. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Paul Papp a semnat cu Sivasspor. Este al șaptelea club pentru fotbalistul român" (in Romanian). Libertatea.ro. 9 January 2018.
- "Paul Papp va juca în Serie A" (in Romanian). Evenimentul Zilei. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Paul Papp o noua speranta pentru nationala Romaniei" (in Romanian). Sport la Minut. 24 March 2010.
- "Dunarea Giurgiu - FC Botosani 1-2" (in Romanian). Wordpress. 16 August 2008. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012.
- "Start perfect" (in Romanian). Evenimentul. 18 August 2008.
- "Calificare istorica" (in Romanian). Evenimentul de Botosani. 14 October 2008.
- "Echipa turului" (in Romanian). Liga 2. 27 February 2009.
- "Botosanenii in pericol" (in Romanian). Liga 2. 5 December 2008.
- "5 jucatori vor parasi pe FC Botosani" (in Romanian). Liga 2. 14 December 2008.
- "Capitanul Botosaniului dorit de Unirea Urziceni" (in Romanian). Monitorul de Botosani. 23 December 2008.
- "Cu un picior in Liga I" (in Romanian). Liga 2. 30 December 2008.
- "Papp si Stefoi acceptati la FC Vaslui" (in Romanian). Monitorul de Botosani. 20 February 2009.
- "Papp a debutat la Vaslui" (in Romanian). Mediafax. 17 May 2009.
- "Papp imprumutat la Farul" (in Romanian). Liga 2. 9 September 2009.
- "In locul lui Papp, FC Vaslui il lasa la Farul pe Andronic" (in Romanian). Cuget Liber. 27 December 2009.
- "Dinamo face pressing pentru stoperul Papp" (in Romanian). GSP. 1 February 2010.
- "Vedetele lui Porumboiu s-au impotmolit la Medias" (in Romanian). Sport.ro. 21 February 2010.
- "Pappati de razesi" (in Romanian). Prosport. 22 March 2010.
- "Lacatus scoate Steaua din lupta pentru titlu" (in Romanian). Prosport. 10 May 2010.
- "Vasluiul prinde podiumul" (in Romanian). Onlinesport. 22 May 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "CFR castiga cupa" (in Romanian). Onlinesport. 27 May 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Paul Papp jucatorul finalei Cupei Romaniei" (in Romanian). Monitorul de Botosani. 27 May 2010.
- "Un fost farist" (in Romanian). Ziare pe net. 9 February 2011.
- "Prima victorie inainte de Lille" (in Romanian). Romania Libera. 15 August 2010.
- "Vise de marire" (in Romanian). Prosport. 19 August 2010.
- "Vasluiul eliminata din Cupa Romaniei" (in Romanian). Sport 365. 22 September 2010.
- "Retrospectiva FC Vaslui" (in Romanian). fotbalistico.ro. 16 June 2011. Archived from the original on 31 March 2012.
- "Timisoara 2-1 Vaslui" (in Romanian). Mediafax. 6 November 2010.
- "Ast(r)a da chin" (in Romanian). Prosport. 12 November 2010.
- "Papp fundasul anului in Romania" (in Romanian). Vaslui FC. 7 December 2010. Archived from the original on 31 March 2012.
- "Provincia e la putere" (in Romanian). Prosport. 7 March 2011.
- "Papp reprofilat definitiv" (in Romanian). Vremea Noua. 7 March 2011.
- "Papp a fost marginalizat" (in Romanian). Vremea Noua. 1 March 2011.
- "Si-au respectat blazonul" (in Romanian). Vremea Noua. 23 May 2011.
- "Papp dornic sa revina pe teren" (in Romanian). Vremea Noua. 16 August 2011.
- "FC Vaslui s-a distrat cu Voinţa Livezile" (in Romanian). ProSport. 22 September 2011.
- "Il primo colpo di mercato: al Chievo arriva Papp" (in Italian). Chievo Calcio. 31 May 2012. Archived from the original on 7 October 2013.
- "Porumboiu a făcut o super afacere cu Papp! Vezi detaliile transferului şi prima uriaşă pentru calificarea în grupele Ligii Campionilor" (in Romanian). Prosport. 31 May 2012.
- "ULTIM'ORA – Chievo, acquistato difensore rumeno Paul Papp" (in Italian). calciosport24.it. 1 June 2012. Archived from the original on 21 July 2012.
- "Papp s-a mutat la Chievo" (in Romanian). evz.ro. 1 June 2012.
- "2,5 milioane euro! » Atît încasează FC Vaslui în contul transferului lui Papp la Chievo" (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 1 June 2012.
- "VIDEO: Nimeni nu se aştepta să înscrie. Românul care a reuşit primul său gol în Serie A, în primul meci jucat în acest an" (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 7 April 2013.
- "Paul Papp este noul jucător al Stelei. Fundaşul a fost împrumutat pentru un sezon de la Chievo. Argăseală a confirmat transferul", Prosport.ro, retrieved 18 November 2014
- A. I. (18 November 2014), "Paul Papp a fost transferat definitiv de Steaua de la Chievo Verona - Fotbal", HotNews.ro, retrieved 18 November 2014
- "Nationala U19 pleaca in Anglia" (in Romanian). Sport 365. 25 June 2007.
- "Emil Sandoi a convocat 22 de jucatori pentru partida cu Letonia" (in Romanian). Realitatea. 7 November 2009.
- "Dulce razbunare" (in Romanian). GSP. 14 November 2009.
- "Inca un rezultat rusinos" (in Romanian). Sport.ro. 29 May 2010.
- "Nationala de tineret merge la barajul de calificare la CE" (in Romanian). Jurnalul. 7 September 2010. Archived from the original on 8 September 2012.
- "Tricolorii mici au ratat calificarea" (in Romanian). Jurnalul. 12 October 2010.
- "Papp la nationala mare" (in Romanian). Vremea Noua. 28 January 2011.
- "Papp a debutat la nationala" (in Romanian). Vremea Noua. 28 January 2011.
- "Papp titular cu Bosnia" (in Romanian). Sport Botosani. 4 June 2011.
- "Tricolorii au scapat ieftin la Sao Paolo" (in Romanian). Evenimentul Zilei. 8 June 2011.
- "Papp s-a accidentat la antrenamentul echipei nationale" (in Romanian). GSP. 5 August 2011.
- Football PLAYER: Paul Papp
- "Paul Papp » Club matches". worldfootball.net. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- "P. Papp". Soccerway. Retrieved 18 February 2018.