Paul Phillips (poker player)
Phillips at the 2005 World Series of Poker
|Residence||Bend, Oregon, U.S.|
|Born||August 9, 1972 (age 43)
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
Phillips wrote the Boa web server while attending the University of California, San Diego, but no longer maintains it. In 1994, one of his colleagues at college discovered he had an interest in blackjack and subsequently introduced him to poker.
Phillips subsequently started working on the Scala compiler and standard library. He is co-founder of Typesafe, a company specializing in the production and support of an open-source platform for software development based upon Scala and Akka. He left Typesafe in 2013 over differences in the architecture of the language, collections library and compiler.
Phillips is known as a controversial figure in the poker world. He was banned from competing in the World Series of Poker (WSOP) in the early 2000s due to comments he made about the way in which the Horseshoe split entry money between players and casino employees. Despite being reinstated as a competitor in late 2001, he only played one event in 2002 (placing 2nd to John Juanda in the $1,500 triple draw lowball Ace to Five event).
He spoke out against the inclusion of Phil Hellmuth Jr, Doyle "Texas Dolly" Brunson and Johnny "Oriental Express" Chan in the 2005 World Series of Poker Tournament of Champions, and subsequently became the subject of message board flame wars.
Phillips has played in both of the first two National Heads-Up Poker Championships, losing in second round play both years.
In an April 27, 2009, article in The New Yorker on neuroenhancement, Phillips was quoted at length discussing his use of prescription drugs such as Adderall and Provigil to improve his focus and concentration during tournament play.
Phillips is married with two daughters, and has not played as many poker tournaments since 2005 to spend more time with his family.
- "Paul Phillips". pokerpressbox.com. Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- Typesafe — Company: Team. Typesafe.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-23.
- "We're Doing It All Wrong" YouTube video from Pacific Northwest Scala 2013 conference where Paul explains why he has left Typesafe
- Butt, Robert. "2003 Tournament Poker Money List". The Hendon Mob. Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- Hoffer, Richard (2003-09-22). "The Prime-timing Of Texas Hold 'em". Sports Illustrated. vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- Butt, Robert. "Paul Phillips – results". The Hendon Mob. Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- Butt, Robert. "Paul Phillips – Stats". The Hendon Mob. Retrieved 2010-04-22.
- Paul Phillips' Poker Statistics: Hendon Mob Poker Database. Pokerdb.thehendonmob.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-23.
- Talbot, Margaret. "Brain Gain: The underground world of "neuroenhancing" drugs.". New Yorker. Retrieved 2009-05-24.