Paul R. Verkuil
|10th Chair of the Administrative Conference of the United States|
April 6, 2010 – October 1, 2015
|Preceded by||Thomasina Rogers|
|Succeeded by||Steven P. Croley (acting)|
|24th President of the|
College of William & Mary
July 1, 1985 – January 7, 1992
|Preceded by||Thomas Ashley Graves Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Timothy J. Sullivan|
Paul Robert Verkuil
December 4, 1939
Staten Island, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||College of William & Mary|
University of Virginia
New School for Social Research
New York University
Paul Robert Verkuil (born December 4, 1939) is an American attorney, former dean of the Tulane University Law School, former president of the College of William and Mary, and former dean of Cardozo School of Law. He has also served as the CEO of the American Automobile Association from 1992 to 1995. He is currently on the faculty of the Cardozo School of Law.
Verkuil received his A.B. at the College of William & Mary and his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law. He also earned an M.A. from the New School for Social Research, and an LL.M. and J.S.D. from New York University School of Law.
Verkuil served as president of the College of William & Mary from July 1, 1985 until his resignation, effective January 7, 1992.
Verkuil is coauthor of Administrative Law and Process (5th ed. 2009) and Regulation and Deregulation (2nd ed. 2004) and Outsourcing Sovereignty: How Privatization of Government Functions Threatens Democracy And What We Can Do About It (Cambridge University Press, 2007). He has been the editor of Virginia Law Review, and the recipient of the NYU Founders Day Award for "Consistent evidence of outstanding scholarship."
In 2009, Verkuil was nominated by President Barack Obama to be head of the Administrative Conference of the United States. The Senate confirmed his nomination on March 3, 2010. From 1994-97 he served as special master for the U.S. Supreme Court in the original jurisdiction case of New Jersey v. New York, 523 U.S. 767 (1998), and as a member of the White House Council on Small Business.
- "Online Directory for Attorneys, Law Firms & Consumers | Martindale.com".
- "Paul R. Verkuil". www.bsfllp.com. Archived from the original on 21 August 2008. Retrieved 15 January 2022.
- "Cardozo Law School biography". Archived from the original on March 19, 2012. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Distinguished legal scholar, Paul R. Verkuil, named Acting Dean of the University of Miami School of Law". 21 July 2008. Archived from the original on 17 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Administrative Conference of the United States - Paul R. Verkuil". Retrieved 2009-12-09.