Paul R. Wharton High School
|Paul R. Wharton High School|
20150 Bruce B Downs Boulevard|
Tampa, Florida 33647
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Navy and White|
|Rival||Freedom High School|
Paul R. Wharton High School (also known as Wharton) is a public high school located on Bruce B. Downs Boulevard in New Tampa, Florida . It is one of 27 traditional (9-12) high schools in the Hillsborough County Public Schools system. The facility was dedicated to Mr. Paul R. Wharton, who served the Hillsborough County school system for 38 years. The school opened on August 21, 1997.
Wharton's attendance boundaries include several Tampa subdivisions located in the New Tampa area.
Wharton's principals have been the following:
The school's colors are navy blue, white and black, and its mascot is the Wildcat. The school newspaper is called The Predator and its yearbook is Felidae.
Wharton HS is 31% Black, 30% White, 27% Hispanic, 6% Asian, <1% Native American, and 6% multiracial.
Wharton is known for some of the most vocal sports fans in the area, to the extent their team spirit has sometimes raised questions about what the nature of high school sports should be. The "Blue Crew" as they are known, are arguably the most spirited and vociferous group of fans in Tampa Bay. There have been complaints lodged about them with the FHSAA.
In 2008, the boys' soccer team won the class 5A state championship.
The Wildcats boys tennis include team won state championships in 2008, 2009, and 2010.
- Auden Tate, NFL Wide Receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Vernon Hargreaves III, NFL cornerback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Larry Edwards, NFL linebacker for the Buffalo Bills
- Candice Dupree WNBA all-star basketball player
- Ettore G. Ewen - Professional bodybuilder and current WWE athlete.
2013 Graduation incident
Wharton High School's graduation on June 3, 2013 was disrupted when the principal ordered the microphone shut off during the salutatorian's address. The salutatorian was removed from the ceremony by off-duty law officers who were working security for the event. He did not receive his diploma during the event, but did get it later. The Hillsborough County School District defended the principal's actions.
- "WHARTON HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- School Information
- School Accountability Report
- 2011-2012 Florida High School Grades | StateImpact Florida
- Plant parents cry foul at victor's gloating | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com
- Cheers or jeers: Do Wharton High fans go too far? | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com
- "BOYS SOCCER 2013-14 CHAMPIONSHIP RECORDS" (PDF). FHSAA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 March 2014. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "FHSAA Boys Tennis Championships Records" (PDF). FHSAA. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Principal cuts off Wharton salutatorian in middle of graduation speech | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune ...