Rubell obtained his bachelor's degree in English literature from the University of California, Los Angeles. Rubell worked for a time with editor Lou Lombardo. His first editing credit was for the film The Final Terror (1983). He worked for about ten years on films and programming for television before returning to feature films as the editor for The Island of Dr. Moreau.
- 1989 nominated for an Emmy for My Name is Bill W.
- 1990 nominated for an Eddie Award for Best Edited Television Special for My Name is Bill W.
- 1996 nominated for an Eddie Award for Best Edited Motion Picture for Non-Commercial Television for The Burning Season
- 1996 nominated for an Emmy for Andersonville
- 1997 won the Eddie Award for Best Edited Episode from a Television Mini-Series for Andersonville (episode 2)
- 2000 nominated for a Satellite Award for Best Editing for The Insider
- 2000 nominated for an Eddie Award for Best Edited Feature Film - Dramatic for The Insider
- 2000 nominated for an Academy Award for Best Film Editing for The Insider
- 2005 won the Satellite Award for Best Editing for Collateral
- 2005 nominated for BAFTA Award for Best Editing for Collateral
- 2005 nominated for an Eddie Award for Best Edited Feature Film - Dramatic for Collateral
- 2005 nominated for an Academy Award for Film Editing for Collateral
|1983||The Final Terror||Andrew Davis||Co-edited with Erica Flaum|
|1984||The Stone Boy||Christopher Cain||N/A|
|1992||Ruby Cairo||Graeme Clifford||Co-edited with Caroline Biggerstaff and Mark Winitsky|
|1996||The Island of Dr. Moreau||John Frankenheimer||Co-edited with Adam P. Scott and Thom Noble(uncredited)|
|1999||The Insider||Michael Mann||Co-edited with David Rosenbloom and William Goldenberg|
First Collaboration with Michael Mann
|2000||The Cell||Tarsem Singh||Co-edited with Robert Duffy|
|2002||XXX||Rob Cohen||Co-edited with Chris Lebenzon and Joel Negron|
|2003||The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen||Stephen Norrington||N/A|
|Peter Pan||P.J. Hogan||Additional Editor|
|2004||Collateral||Michael Mann||Co-edited with Jim Miller|
Second Collaboration with Michael Mann
|2005||The Island||Michael Bay||Co-edited with Christian Wagner|
Additional editing by John Murray, Roger Barton and Tom Muldoon
First Collaboration with Michael Bay
|2006||Miami Vice||Michael Mann||Co-edited with William Goldenberg|
Third Collaboration with Michael Mann
|2007||Transformers||Michael Bay||Co-edited with Glen Scantlebury and Tom Muldoon|
Second Collaboration with Michael Bay
|2008||Hancock||Peter Berg||Co-edited with Colby Parker Jr.|
|2009||Public Enemies||Michael Mann||Co-edited with Jeffrey Ford|
Fourth Collaboration with Michael Mann
|Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen||Michael Bay||Co-edited with Joel Negron, Tom Muldoon and Roger Barton|
Third Collaboration with Michael Bay
|2012||The Avengers||Joss Whedon||Additional Editor|
|Battleship||Peter Berg||Co-edited with Billy Rich and Colby Parker Jr.|
|2014||Need for Speed||Scott Waugh||Co-edited with Scott Waugh|
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||Michael Bay||Co-edited with Roger Barton and William Goldenberg|
Fourth Collaboration with Michael Bay
|Seventh Son||Sergei Bodrov||Co-edited with Jim Page and Michael Kahn|
|2016||The 5th Wave||J Blakeson||N/A|
|2017||The Fate of the Furious||F. Gary Gray||Co-edited with Christian Wagner|
- Kaufman, Debra (2005). "Cutting to the Chase: Veterans and Assistants on How to Get Ahead in Editing", Film & Video May 1, 2005. Article archived at WebCite on 2008-07-07 from this original URL.
- "American Cinema Editors > Members", webpage archived by WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04.
- Paul Rubell on IMDb
- "Q&A: 'TRANSFORMERS' EDITOR PAUL RUBELL". www.postmagazine.com. July 1, 2007. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Essman, Scott (November–December 1999). "Delving Inside The Post-Production Of THE INSIDER". Motion Picture Editors Guild Newsletter. 20 (6). Archived from the original on 2008-12-08. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
|This article about an American film editor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|