This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Paul Schiff is an American film producer.
Early life and education
Schiff was raised in Bethesda, Maryland, one of three sons of Charlotte, a television and publishing executive, and Edward Schiff, a real estate lawyer. He graduated in film studies from Wesleyan University, where his roommate was actor Bradley Whitford.
Schiff began his career as a documentary cameraman in his hometown of New York City before moving into directing for MTV, where he was on staff for four years during the early days of the fledgling cable channel. His success at the network led to an introduction to film executive Joe Roth, who would go on to become his mentor. Roth hired Schiff as associate producer on the boxing drama, Streets of Gold, before moving up to produce his 1988 drama, Coupe de Ville. Schiff then became a vice president of Production under Roth at Morgan Creek Productions, where he developed and supervised numerous projects, and produced the westerns Young Guns and its sequel, Young Guns II.
Schiff spent seven years at the studio in a production deal, where he produced films including My Cousin Vinny, starring Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei, The Vanishing, the American adaptation of George Sluizer’s Dutch thriller; the Animal House-inspired campus comedy PCU; and the sci-fi thriller Ghost in the Machine.
After his stint at Fox, Schiff reteamed with Roth at Disney in a production deal, where he produced Wes Anderson's critically acclaimed film, Rushmore. The film won two Film Independent Spirit Awards—Best Director and Best Supporting Actor for Murray. Schiff continued his long-standing affiliation with Roth at the executive’s new production firm, Revolution Studios, where he produced Maid in Manhattan, the hit romantic comedy starring Jennifer Lopez and Ralph Fiennes, and Mike Newell’s drama Mona Lisa Smile, starring Julia Roberts, Julia Styles and Kirsten Dunst.
Schiff's producing credits also include The Air I Breathe, Numb, Green Street Hooligans, the 2004 remake of the 1970s classic actioner, Walking Tall, Solitary Man, The Truth About Emmanuel, the ensemble comedy Spin, and the Alaskan-set thriller, Into the Grizzly Maze.
- 1986 Streets of Gold – Associate Producer
- 1987 Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise – Associate Producer
- 1988 Young Guns – Co-Producer
- 1989 Renegades – Co-Producer
- 1990 Coupe de Ville
- 1990 Young Guns II
- 1992 My Cousin Vinny
- 1993 The Vanishing
- 1993 Ghost in the Machine
- 1994 PCU
- 1995 Bushwhacked
- 1998 Rushmore
- 2000 Whatever It Takes
- 2001 Black Knight
- 2002 Maid in Manhattan
- 2003 Mona Lisa Smile
- 2004 Walking Tall
- 2005 Green Street Hooligans – Executive Producer
- 2006 Date Movie
- 2007 Epic Movie
- 2007 Spin
- 2007 The Air I Breathe
- 2007 Numb
- 2009 Tenure
- 2009 Solitary Man
- 2010 Revenge of the Bridesmaids – Executive Producer
- 2013 Into the Grizzly Maze (also Red Machine) – Producer
- 2015 My All American – Producer
- 2018 Proud Mary - Producer
- 2018 Beast of Burden - Producer
- 2018 How It Ends - Producer
- 2019 Untitled Brad Anderson project - Producer
- "Bradley Whitford".
- McDonald, Megan (September 16, 2015). "Ringling College Screens New Feature Film "My All-American". Sarasota Magazine. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Leydon, Joe (November 12, 2015). "Film Review: 'My All-American'". Variety. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- ״Infidel actor Richard discovered drama in his family's history". The Jewish Telegraph. www.jewishtelegraph.com Published 2010. Accessed February 12, 2016.