|Bishop of Kirkstall|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Leeds|
|In office||19 July 2015 – present|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Craven (2005–2014) |
Archdeacon of Richmond and Craven (2014–2015)
Bishop of Richmond (2015–2018; title changed)
|Ordination||1984 (deacon) |
|Consecration||19 July 2015|
by John Sentamu
|Born||22 March 1958|
|Education||Bradford Grammar School|
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Oxford |
St John's College, Durham
Paul John Slater (born 22 March 1958) is an Anglican bishop. Since 2018, he has been the Bishop of Kirkstall, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Leeds. He was Archdeacon of Craven from 2005 to April 2014, Archdeacon of Richmond and Craven from April 2014 to July 2015, and Bishop of Richmond from 2015 until his title (but not role) changed in 2018.
Slater was born on 22 March 1958. He was educated at Bradford Grammar School, then a direct grant grammar school in Bradford, Yorkshire. He studied chemistry at Corpus Christi College, Oxford and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree; this was promoted to an Oxford Master of Arts (MA Oxon) degree in 1983. In 1981, he entered Cranmer Hall (part of St John's College, Durham) to study for ordination. He graduated from Durham University with a BA degree in theology in 1983 and completed a further year of training for ministry at Cranmer Hall.
He was ordained in the Anglican ministry as a deacon in 1984 and a priest in 1985. From 1984 to 1988, he served his curacy at St Andrews's, Keighley, in the Diocese of Bradford. He was then Priest in charge of St John the Evangelist, Cullingworth and Director of the Diocesan Foundation Course between 1988 and 1993. He then became the Bishop of Bradford's Personal Executive Assistant from 1993 to 1995 and was also Warden of Readers from 1992 to 1996. He served as the Rector of St Michael and All Angels Church, Haworth from 1995 to 2001, and then the Bishop's Officer for Ministry and Mission from 2001 to 2005.
He was appointed the Archdeacon of Craven in 2005 and the acting Archdeacon of Richmond on 2 February 2014, before becoming the Archdeacon of Richmond and Craven when the two posts were merged on 20 April 2014. His residence was Kadugli House, Keighley.
On 18 June 2015, it was announced that Slater was to be the next Bishop of Richmond, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Leeds. The bishopric of Richmond had been in abeyance since 1921. He was consecrated during a service at Ripon Cathedral on 19 July by John Sentamu, Archbishop of York. This was the first consecration to take place in Ripon Cathedral since that of Thomas de Kirkcudbright as Bishop of Galloway in 1293.
- "Welcome for new Bishop of Richmond at historic consecration service". Diocese of Leeds. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 750. ISBN 978-0-7151-1029-4.
- Acting Archdeacon of Richmond to move on to become next Dean of Chelmsford. The Northern Echo. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- Ripon Area. leeds.anglican.org. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Paul Slater. leeds.anglican.org. Archived 21 July 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Diocese of Leeds — Archdeacon Paul Slater to be new Bishop of Richmond (Accessed 13 July 2016)
- "Richmond in North Yorkshire gets first bishop since 1921". BBC News. 18 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Cathedral rewrites history books with ceremony". The Yorkshire Post. 20 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
|Church of England titles|
| Archdeacon of Craven
2005 to 20 April 2014
|Title merged with Richmond|
as acting archdeacon
| Acting Archdeacon of Richmond
2 February 2014 to 20 April 2014
|Title merged with Craven|
|New title|| Archdeacon of Richmond and Craven
20 April 2014 to 19 July 2015
Title last held byFrancis Kilner
| Bishop of Richmond
19 July 2015 to 2018
as Bishop of Kirkstall
as Bishop of Richmond
| Bishop of Kirkstall
2018 to present