This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Paul Hendrick Sugarbaker (born November 28, 1941 in Baltimore) is an American surgeon at the Washington Cancer Institute. He is known for developments in surgical oncology of the abdomen, including cytoreductive surgery followed by hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, or HIPEC, a treatment alternately referred to as the Sugarbaker Procedure.
Sugarbaker attended high school in Jefferson City, Missouri and received a Bachelor's Degree from Wheaton College in Illinois in 1963. In 1967 he graduated from the medical college at Cornell University. He interned and did his residency at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, serving as chief resident from 1973 to 1976. From 1976-1986, he spent ten years at the National Cancer Institute-Surgery Branch of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, as Senior Investigator. He was also head of surgical oncology at Emory University Medical School, and the medical director of surgical oncology at the Washington Cancer Institute at the MedStar Washington Hospital Center.
Among patients with stage III epithelial ovarian cancer, the addition of HIPEC to interval cytoreductive surgery resulted in longer recurrence-free survival and overall survival than surgery alone and did not result in higher rates of side effects.
- Neuwirth, Madalyn G.; Alexander, H. Richard; Karakousis, Giorgos C. (February 1, 2016). "Then and now: cytoreductive surgery with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), a historical perspective". Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 7 (1): 18–28. doi:10.3978/j.issn.2078-6891.2015.106 (inactive 2019-03-16). ISSN 2078-6891. PMC 4754315. PMID 26941981.
- Pollack, Andrew (2011-08-11). "Heated, Harrowing Chemotherapy Bath May Be Only Hope for Some". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- Wilber, Del Quentin (2012-11-25). "Surgeon performs controversial cancer surgery named after him". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- "Sugarbaker Oncology Associates | Home Page". Sugarbaker Oncology Associates. Retrieved 2019-01-28.
- van Driel, Willemien J.; Koole, Simone N.; Sikorska, Karolina; Schagen van Leeuwen, Jules H.; Schreuder, Henk W.R.; Hermans, Ralph H.M.; de Hingh, Ignace H.J.T.; van der Velden, Jacobus; Arts, Henriëtte J. (2018-01-18). "Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer". New England Journal of Medicine. 378 (3): 230–240. doi:10.1056/nejmoa1708618. ISSN 0028-4793. PMID 29342393.