Paul Taunton Matthews
Paul Taunton Matthews
|Born||19 November 1919|
|Died||26 February 1987 (aged 67)|
|Alma mater||Clare College, Cambridge|
|Awards||Order of the British Empire|
Fellow of the Royal Society
Adams Prize (1958)
Rutherford Medal and Prize (1978)
|Institutions||Imperial College London|
University of Bath
Science and Engineering Research Council
|Doctoral advisor||Nicholas Kemmer|
|Doctoral students||Faheem Hussain|
|Other notable students||Abdus Salam|
John Stewart Bell
Daniel Afedzi Akyeampong
Matthews was born in Erode in British India, and was educated at Mill Hill School and Clare College, Cambridge, where he was awarded MA and PhD degrees. He was awarded the Adams Prize in 1958, elected to the Royal Society in 1963, and awarded the Rutherford Medal and Prize in 1978. He became head of the Physics Department of Imperial College, London and later vice chancellor of the University of Bath. He was also awarded an Honorary Degree (Doctor of Science) by the University of Bath in 1983. He was also chairman of the Nuclear Physics Board of the Science Research Council.
He died in Cambridge from injuries sustained in a cycling accident.
- Kibble, T. W. B. (1988). "Paul Taunton Matthews. 19 November 1919-26 February 1987". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 34: 554–580. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1988.0018. JSTOR 770061.
- Andrew Whitaker, John Stewart Bell and Twentieth-Century Physics: Vision and Integrity, Oxford University Press, 2016, ch. 2.
- Matthews, P. T. (1971). The nuclear apple: recent discoveries in fundamental physics. London: Chatto and Windus. ISBN 0-7011-1709-5.
- Matthews, Paul T. (1974). Introduction to quantum mechanics. New York: McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0-07-084036-9.
- Salam, Abdus (October 1987). "Obituary: Paul Matthews". Physics Today. 40 (10): 142–146. Bibcode:1987PhT....40j.142S. doi:10.1063/1.2820245.
- "MATTHEWS, Paul Taunton". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2020 (online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- Quotations related to Paul Taunton Matthews at Wikiquote
| Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bath
John Rodney Quayle
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|