Paul Taylor (fighter)
15 December 1979 |
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Paul Simon Taylor (born 15 December 1979) is a retired English professional mixed martial artist who formerly competed in the Lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor from 2002 until 2013, Taylor also competed for Cage Rage.
Mixed martial arts career
Taylor fights for Team Kaobon of Liverpool and is a former WPKC World Kickboxing Champion. Taylor got into MMA when his coach Rob Evans entered him in the UK's first cage tournament, Cage Rage. Taylor had given up kickboxing after becoming disillusioned at the lack of money in the sport.
After giving up kickboxing, Taylor decided to retrain as a carpenter whilst doing MMA on the side, but eventually trained MMA full-time until his retirement.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Taylor sent a DVD of his fighting to the UFC to try and secure a contract with the organization and they signed him immediately.
In his UFC debut, Taylor stopped previously undefeated Edilberto de Oliveira via TKO due to strikes early in the third round.
His second UFC fight at UFC 75 was a loss via armbar to Marcus Davis. Although Taylor lost the fight he came close to winning with the referee seconds away from stopping the action due to Taylor connecting with a high kick and landing several blows on a rocked Davis. Due to its high pace and excitement the fight was awarded Fight of the Night.
His next fight at UFC 80 was a loss via unanimous decision to fellow countryman Paul Kelly. Although he lost, Taylor along with Kelly was awarded $35,000 as a bonus for Fight of the Night. This was the second time that Taylor had won the award.
Taylor met MMA veteran Chris Lytle at UFC 89 which took place at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England. Lytle won a unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27). The decision resulted in loud boos and Taylor was surprised at Lytle being awarded the judges’ decision. Sherdog, MMAWeekly and MMAJunkie thought Taylor had won the decision. The fight was awarded Fight of the Night honors and both fighters received $40,000 following their exciting, action packed fight. Although this was Taylor's third defeat in the octagon, he had won Fight of the Night awards on three occasions when he had been defeated in the UFC.
Taylor was expected to make his lightweight debut against John Gunderson on 10 April 2010 at UFC 112. However, due to complications after making the weight cut, Taylor was not medically cleared to fight.
Taylor next faced Sam Stout on 23 October 2010 at UFC 121. The fight saw both fighters attempt kicks. The first round saw Stout bloody Taylor's nose and successfully gain a takedown. Taylor came back in the second, catching Stout on the inside. Stout went on to win a split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27).
Taylor was expected to face John Makdessi on 14 August 2011 at UFC on Versus 5. However, Makdessi was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by Donald Cerrone. However it was later revealed that Taylor had broken his foot and was forced out of his scheduled bout and replaced by Charles Oliveira.
Taylor was expected to face Anthony Njokuani on 5 November 2011 at UFC 138. However, just days before the event, Taylor sustained a whiplash injury during a minor traffic collision forcing him from the bout. With no time to find a suitable replacement the bout was scrapped.
Taylor/Njokuani was expected to take place on 11 July 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman. However, Taylor was forced out of the bout with yet another injury, and replaced by Rafael dos Anjos.
Taylor was expected to return from the extended hiatus and the bout with Njokuani scheduled for a third time on 26 October 2013 at UFC Fight Night 30. However, Taylor was forced to pull out of the bout once again with another injury and was replaced this time by Al Iaquinta. After the most recent withdrawal, the UFC announced that Taylor has retired from MMA.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||11 wins||6 losses|
|Win||11–6–1 (1)||Gabe Ruediger||KO (head kick and punches)||UFC 126||5 February 2011||2||1:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–6–1 (1)||Sam Stout||Decision (split)||UFC 121||23 October 2010||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States||Lightweight debut.|
|Loss||10–5–1 (1)||John Hathaway||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 105||14 November 2009||3||5:00||Manchester, England|
|Win||10–4–1 (1)||Peter Sobotta||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 99||13 June 2009||3||5:00||Cologne, Germany|
|Loss||9–4–1 (1)||Chris Lytle||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 89||18 October 2008||3||5:00||Birmingham, England||Fight of the Night|
|Win||9–3–1 (1)||Jess Liaudin||Decision (split)||UFC 85||7 June 2008||3||5:00||London, England|
|Loss||8–3–1 (1)||Paul Kelly||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 80||19 January 2008||3||5:00||Newcastle, England||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||8–2–1 (1)||Marcus Davis||Submission (armbar)||UFC 75||8 September 2007||1||4:14||London, England||Fight of the Night|
|Win||8–1–1 (1)||Edilberto de Oliveira||TKO (strikes)||UFC 70||21 April 2007||3||0:37||Manchester, England|
|NC||7–1–1 (1)||Che Mills||No Contest||Cage Rage Contenders 3||12 November 2006||1||N/A||England||Spectator with air horn distracted Taylor, allowing Mills submission victory.|
|Win||7–1–1||Paul Jenkins||KO (punch)||Road to Tokyo||15 October 2006||1||1:08||England|
|Loss||6–1–1||Yuki Sasaki||Submission (armbar)||Pain and Glory 2006||6 May 2006||1||N/A||England|
|Win||6–0–1||Jonas Majauskas||TKO (strikes)||Walsall Fight Night||5 March 2006||1||0:53||England|
|Win||5–0–1||Zelg Galešic||TKO (punches)||Urban Destruction 1||10 April 2005||3||N/A||England|
|Win||4–0–1||Carl Morgan||Submission (kimura)||CFC 3: Cage Carnage||6 March 2005||3||N/A||England|
|Win||3–0–1||Daan Kooiman||TKO (strikes)||CFC 2: Cage Carnage||14 November 2004||1||N/A||England|
|Win||2–0–1||John Flemming||Submission (guillotine choke)||Pain and Glory 2004||24 April 2004||1||N/A||England|
|Win||1–0–1||Jess Liaudin||Decision||Cage Rage 2||22 February 2003||3||5:00||England|
|Draw||0–0–1||Matt Ewin||Draw||Cage Rage 1||7 September 2002||N/A||N/A||England|
- "The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC)". ufc.com.
- Anuji Varma. "Mixed Martial Arts fighter from Walsall faces his toughest opponent at UFC in Birmingham". Sundaymercury.net. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- Davies, Gareth A (16 October 2008). "Paul Taylor's chance to hammer home Ultimate Fighting talent". The Daily Telegraph. London.
- "UFC 75 "Champion Vs. Champion" Play-by-Play".
- Dann Stupp. "Marcus Davis Scores $80,000 in UFC 75 Bonuses, Possibly Fighting in January". Archived from the original on 13 July 2012.
- Dann Stupp. "UFC 80: Rapid Fire -- Live Results and Round-by-Round Updates".
- Dann Stupp. "UFC Issues $140,000 in UFC 80 "Fight Night" Bonuses".
- Gilbert, Mark (18 March 2008). "Liaudin gets Taylor test". The Sun. London.
- "Report: Taylor vs. Hathaway, Hamman vs. Gustafsson Likely for UFC 105". Mmaontap.com. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "UFC 89 Play-by-Play". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "UFC 89 live results and round-by-round updates". Mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "Report: Paul Taylor vs John Hathaway likely for UFC 105". Mmajunkie.com. 10 September 2009.
- James Kimball. "Paul Taylor drops to lightweight to face John Gunderson at UFC 112". Mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "UFC 112: Paul Taylor forced to withdraw from fight with John Gunderson in Abu Dhabi". Mmabay.com. 10 April 2010. Archived from the original on 21 January 2016.
- Steven Marrocco. "Paul Taylor vs. Sam Stout targeted for UFC 121". Mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Gabe Ruediger vs. Paul Taylor Agreed For UFC 127 in Australia". MMAWeekly.com. 29 November 2010.
- "John Makdessi vs. Paul Taylor In The Works for UFC on Versus 5". mmafrenzy.com. 3 June 2011. Retrieved 2015-10-31.
- "John Makdessi injured, forced out of UFC on Versus 5 bout with Paul Taylor". Mmajunkie.com. 25 June 2011. Archived from the original on 28 June 2011.
- "With Makdessi injured, Cerrone faces Taylor at UFC on Versus 5". Mmajunkie.com. 27 June 2011.
- "Paul Taylor gets Cerrone examination on August 14". Espn.co.uk. 27 June 2011.
- Morgan, John (20 July 2011). "Anthony Njokuani vs. Paul Taylor targeted for UFC 138 in England". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- Stupp, Dann (1 November 2011). "UFC 138 loses Taylor-Njokuani; Diabate-Perosh promoted to main card". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 10 July 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- "Anthony Njokuani vs. Paul Taylor added to UFC on FUEL TV 4". Mmajunkie.com. 27 April 2012. Archived from the original on 30 April 2012.
- "Paul Taylor returns, meets Anthony Njokuani at UFC Fight Night 30 in Manchester". Mmajunkie.com. 9 August 2013.
- "Al Iaquinta replaces Paul Taylor, faces Anthony Njokuani at UFC Fight Night 30". Mmajunkie.com. 19 September 2013. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013.
- "UFC: After injury withdrawal, Paul Taylor announces retirement". Mmajunkie.com. 20 September 2013.