Paul Thompson (ice hockey, born 1988)
November 30, 1988 |
Derry, New Hampshire
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
Springfield Thunderbirds (AHL)
New Jersey Devils
Paul Thompson (born November 30, 1988) is an American ice hockey forward who is currently playing within the Florida Panthers organization of the National Hockey League (NHL). In the 2010–11 he was the Hockey East player of the year, led the Hockey East in scoring, and led the nation in power play goals while playing with the University of New Hampshire.
Born in Derry, New Hampshire, Thompson began playing hockey at age five. He became a fan of the UNH hockey team while his elder cousin, Mike Souza, played on the team. He later attended Pinkerton Academy where he played hockey his freshman and sophomore year. While at Pinkerton he also played Baseball and Football. The next two years he played for the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs of the Eastern Junior Hockey League. After scoring fifty one goals in fifty games in the 2006–07 season, Thompson was named the EJHL Offensive Player of the Year. In 2007, he was ranked seventy second among North American hockey players by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau. He was the highest ranked North American player to not be selected in the NHL Entry Draft that year.
He then attended the University of New Hampshire where he is a Health Management major. Thompson scored his first college hat trick on November 17, 2007 in a game against Providence College. In the 2009–10 season he scored thirty nine points, second on the team to Bobby Butler. Thompson is now the highest scoring New Hampshire native on the UNH ice hockey team in the past thirty years. He is a finalist for the 2011 Hobey Baker Award.
On July 1, 2015, Thompson signed a two-year, two-way free agent contract with the New Jersey Devils. To begin the 2015–16 season, Thompson was returned to continue his tenure with the Albany Devils in the AHL. On January 8, 2016, Thompson received his first NHL recall by the Devils, and made his debut that night in a 4-1 defeat to the Boston Bruins. After three scoreless games with New Jersey, Thompson was reassigned to Albany to finish the season, compiling 35 points in 56 games.
On June 10, 2016, the New Jersey Devils traded Thompson along with teammate Graham Black to the Florida Panthers in exchange of Marc Savard's contract and a second-round pick in 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
|2007–08||U. of New Hampshire||HE||35||6||6||12||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||U. of New Hampshire||HE||27||4||5||9||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||U. of New Hampshire||HE||39||19||20||39||24||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||U. of New Hampshire||HE||39||28||24||52||32||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||New Jersey Devils||NHL||3||0||0||0||2||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-Hockey East First Team||2010–11|||
|AHCA East First-Team All-American||2010–11|
- "Paul Thompson Wins Hockey East Player of the Year". WMUR. March 17, 2011. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- Rose, Lauren (November 13, 2008). "No sophomore jinx for Paul Thompson". Derry News. Derry, NH. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Lessels, Allen (March 25, 2011). "Local boy makes good". New Hampshire Union Leader. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Pike, Al (March 24, 2011). "N.H. native Thompson has dream career with Wildcats". Seacoastonline.com. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Labor, Anthony (November 22, 2010). "Hometown hero: UNH senior Thompson thriving". Seacoastonline.com. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- McMahon, Mike (December 13, 2010). "Thompson follows cousin to UNH, paves his own path". The Eagle-Tribune. North Andover, MA. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Merritt, Andrew (February 24, 2011). "New Hampshire boasts punch line". New England Hockey Journal. Retrieved March 2, 2011.
- "Friars fall to Wildcats in overtime". The Providence Journal. November 18, 2007. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- Lessels, Allen (January 31, 2011). "Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Maine event set". New Hampshire Union Leader. Retrieved February 3, 2011.
- "Thompson signs with Penguins". USA Today. Associated Press. March 28, 2011. Retrieved March 29, 2011.
- "Penguins trade Thompson to Blue Jackets for Machacek". The Sports Network. 2014-02-06. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Defenseman Eric Gelinas re-signs with Devils". FireandIce.com. 2014-09-15. Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- "Thompson inks two-year, two-way contract". New Jersey Devils. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "Vatrano's early goal leads Bruins past Devils". CBS Sports. 2016-01-08. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "Devils trade for Savard's contract". The Sports Network. 2016-06-10. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "Hockey East First-Team All-Stars". hockeyeastonline.com. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- Paul Thompson career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Paul Thompson for Hobey Baker website
|Awards and achievements|
|Hockey East Player of the Year
|Hockey East Scoring Champion
|Hockey East Three-Stars Award