Paul Kingsley Townsend FRS (//) is a British physicist, currently a Professor of Theoretical Physics in Cambridge University's Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. He is notable for his work on string theory.
In 1987, Eric Bergshoeff, Ergin Sezgin and Paul Townsend showed that there are no superstrings in eleven dimensions (the largest number of dimensions consistent with a single graviton in supergravity theories), but supermembranes.
Awards and honours
- "DAMTP>>People>>Professor P.K. Townsend".
- Townsend Home Page at Cambridge
- "SPIRES-HEP Search". Stanford University.
- Publications by Paul K Townsend per WorldCat.org
- This was demonstrated in: Werner Nahm, "Supersymmetries and their representations". Nuclear Physics B 135 no 1 (1978) pp 149-166, doi:10.1016/0550-3213(78)90218-3
- E. Bergshoeff, E. Sezgin and P. K. Townsend, "Supermembranes and Eleven-Dimensional Supergravity," Phys. Lett. B 189: 75 (1987).
- "Lists of Royal Society Fellows 1660-2007". London: The Royal Society. Archived from the original on March 24, 2010. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
|This article about a physicist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|