Wernick has produced several network reality shows, including CBS's Big Brother 2 and ABC's I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here!. Wernick has won three Emmy Awards for his work in news, which included producing stints at KVOA, KOLD, KTVK, KSL and KCAL.
Rhett Reese and Wernick partnered in 2001 to create Reese Wernick Productions, a company dedicated to the creation and production of entertainment in various media.
Wernick and Reese's first feature collaboration was the 2009 hit movie Zombieland, which they created and also executive-produced. The movie was released by Sony Pictures in theaters October 2, 2009. Zombieland went on to become one of the highest grossing zombie movies of all time.
Wernick and Reese followed Zombieland with Paramount Pictures’ G.I. Joe: Retaliation, starring Dwayne Johnson, Channing Tatum, and Bruce Willis, and which was released on March 27, 2013. The sequel outperformed the original, grossing nearly $400 million.
Paul Wernick wrote and executive produced 20th Century Fox's Deadpool, along with writing and producing partner Rhett Reese. Deadpool starred Ryan Reynolds, and was directed by Tim Miller. The R-rated film was released on February 12, 2016. It is the highest grossing R-Rated film of all time. The team's next project will be released March of 2017 with sci-fi thriller, Life. The film is directed by Daniel Espinosa, produced by Skydance, and will be released through Sony Pictures. Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Rebecca Ferguson appear as the main cast.
Wernick and Reese were announced as the co-screenwriters of the feature film adaptation of Cowboy Ninja Viking. Reportedly Chris Pratt will star in the film as well as also serve as executive-produce. The film is being distributed by Universal Pictures. Their original science fiction spec screenplay Epsilon was sold to Sony Pictures; with contracts to co-produce in partnership with Michael De Luca. Wernick and Reese recently optioned Thomas Oliver's book, The Real Coke, The Real Story, about the failed launch of New Coke. The pair will write and produce the project.
Wernick and Reese first collaborated in 2001, creating, writing, and executive-producing The Joe Schmo Show for Spike TV. The series drew Spike’s highest-ever ratings. Joe Schmo was named to numerous Best Of lists, including Time's "Top 10 TV Shows of 2003" and Entertainment Weekly's "50 Best TV Shows Ever on DVD."
The Schmo format has sold internationally, in the UK, France, Spain, and New Zealand. Wernick and Reese followed up with Invasion Iowa, a high-concept, high-stakes comedy hybrid starring William Shatner. The show premiered on Spike in the first quarter of 2005 and aired internationally immediately following. Invasion Iowa was released on DVD in May, 2009.
- Zombieland (2009) - co-writer, executive producer
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) - co-writer
- Deadpool (2016) - co-writer, executive producer
- Life (2017) - co-writer
- Watch Dogs (TBA) - co-writer
- Deadpool 2 (TBA) - co-writer
- Zombieland 2 (TBA) - co-writer
- The Joe Schmo Show (2003-2013) - writer, creator
- New York Times
- Reifsteck, Greg (June 19, 2000). "Nine is KCAL's lucky number at L.A. Emmys". Variety.
- "Weekend Report: �Wild Things� Roars, �Citizen,� �Activity� Thrill - Box Office Mojo". www.boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 2017-02-03. replacement character in
|title=at position 17 (help)
- Steve Weintraub (January 6, 2010). "Exclusive: G.I. JOE SEQUEL is Happening; Zombieland's Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick Writing G.I. JOE 2". Collider.com. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- Tatiana Seigel (January 11, 2009). "Par OKs 'G.I. Joe' sequel, dates 'Trek'". Variety. Retrieved 2010-01-13.