Reese and Wernick partnered in 2001 to create Reese Wernick Productions, a company dedicated to the creation and production of entertainment in various media.
Wernick and Reese's first feature collaboration was the 2009 hit movie Zombieland, which they created and also executive-produced. The movie was released by Sony Pictures in theaters October 2, 2009. Zombieland went on to become one of the highest grossing zombie movies of all time.
Wernick and Reese followed Zombieland with Paramount Pictures’ G.I. Joe: Retaliation, starring Dwayne Johnson, Channing Tatum, and Bruce Willis, and which was released on March 27, 2013. The sequel outperformed the original, grossing nearly $400 million.
Their newest feature project, "LIFE" is an original science fiction film produced by Skydance and directed by Daniel Espinosa. Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Rebecca Ferguson are starring. Sony Pictures is releasing.
Paul Wernick wrote and executive produced Marvel's Deadpool, along with writing and producing partner Rhett Reese. Deadpool starred Ryan Reynolds, and was directed by Tim Miller, for Twentieth Century Fox. The R-rated film was released on February 12, 2016. It is the highest grossing R-Rated film worldwide.
Wernick and Reese recently optioned Thomas Oliver's book, The Real Coke, The Real Story, about the failed launch of New Coke, which they will write and produce.
Wernick and Reese first collaborated in 2001, creating, writing, and executive-producing The Joe Schmo Show for Spike TV. The series drew Spike’s highest-ever ratings. Joe Schmo was named to numerous Best Of lists, including Time's "Top 10 TV Shows of 2003" and Entertainment Weekly's "50 Best TV Shows Ever on DVD."
The Schmo format has sold internationally, in the UK, France, Spain, and New Zealand. Wernick and Reese followed up with Invasion Iowa, a high-concept, high-stakes comedy hybrid starring William Shatner. The show premiered on Spike in the first quarter of 2005 and aired internationally immediately following. Invasion Iowa was released on DVD in May, 2009.
- Zombieland (2009) - writer, executive producer
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) - writer
- Deadpool (2016) - writer, executive producer
- Life (2017) - writer
- Watch Dogs (TBA) - writer
- The Joe Schmo Show (2003-2013) - writer, creator
- New York Times
- Reifsteck, Greg (June 19, 2000). "Nine is KCAL's lucky number at L.A. Emmys". Variety.
- Steve Weintraub (January 6, 2010). "Exclusive: G.I. JOE SEQUEL is Happening; Zombieland's Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick Writing G.I. JOE 2". Collider.com. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- Tatiana Seigel (January 11, 2009). "Par OKs 'G.I. Joe' sequel, dates 'Trek'". Variety. Retrieved 2010-01-13.