Paul de Jersey
|His Excellency the Honourable
Paul de Jersey
Paul de Jersey in 2011
|26th Governor of Queensland|
29 July 2014
|Monarch||Queen Elizabeth II|
|Preceded by||Penelope Wensley|
|17th Chief Justice of Queensland|
17 February 1998 – 8 July 2014
|Nominated by||Rob Borbidge|
|Appointed by||Peter Arnison representing Queen Elizabeth II|
|Governor||Penelope Wensley (2008–2014)|
|Preceded by||John Macrossan|
|Succeeded by||Timothy Carmody|
21 September 1948 |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Awards||Companion of the Order of Australia
Knight of the Order of St John
|Service/branch||Australian Army Reserve|
|Years of service||1966–1971|
|Unit||Queensland University Regiment|
He was part of the Queensland University Regiment from 1966 to 1971, and was commissioned in 1969.
He practised law in Queensland and was called to the Queensland Bar in 1971. He took silk in 1981 as one of Her Majesty’s Counsel (QC).
At the Bar he practised in the commercial field; appeared in constitutional cases before the High Court of Australia, and also appeared before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
He was appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland in 1985 and was the Commercial Causes Judge between 1986–1989.
He was the judge constituting the Mental Health Tribunal between 1994–1996.
He was appointed Chief Justice of Queensland on 17 February 1998.
He was the Vice President of the Australian Cancer Society between 1995 and 1998 and its President between 1998 and 2001, a trustee of the National Breast Cancer Foundation between 1994 and 1999 and the Chairman of the Queensland Cancer Fund (now The Cancer Council Queensland) between 1994 and 2001.
De Jersey became the 26th Governor of Queensland on 29 July 2014. On the retirement of Alex Chernov as Governor of Victoria on 1 July 2015, de Jersey became the longest-serving Governor of an Australian state and by custom assumed the additional office of Administrator of the Commonwealth who exercises the powers of the Governor-General of Australia in the Governor-General's absence or disability.
Titles, styles and honours
|Viceregal styles of
Paul de Jersey
|Reference style||His Excellency the Honourable|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
- 21 September 1948 – 1966: Paul de Jersey
- 1966 – 1968: Second lieutenant Paul de Jersey
- 1968 – 1971: Lieutenant Paul de Jersey
- 1971 – 1981: Paul de Jersey
- 1981 – 17 February 1998: Paul de Jersey QC
- 17 February 1998 – 12 June 2000: The Honourable Chief Justice Paul de Jersey QC, Chief Justice of Queensland
- 12 June 2000 – 8 July 2014: The Honourable Chief Justice Paul de Jersey AC, QC, Chief Justice of Queensland
- 8 July 2014 – 29 July 2014: Paul de Jersey AC, QC
- 29 July 2014 – Present: His Excellency The Honourable Paul de Jersey AC, QC, Governor of Queensland
De Jersey's style and title as Governor in full is: His Excellency The Honourable Paul de Jersey, Companion of the Order of Australia, Queen's Counsel, Governor of the State of Queensland in the Commonwealth of Australia.
- As Administrator: His Excellency The Honourable Paul de Jersey, Companion of the Order of Australia, Queen's Counsel, Administrator of the Commonwealth of Australia.
|Companion of the Order of Australia (AC)||12 June 2000|
|Knight of the Order of St John||19 November 2014|
|Australian Defence Medal|
- Life Member of the Bar Association of Queensland
- 2000: Honorary Doctorate of the University of Queensland.
- 2008: Honorary Doctorate of the University of Southern Queensland.
- 2014: Honorary Doctorate of the Griffith University.
- Australian Army 28 July 2014: Regimental Colonel of the Royal Queensland Regiment.
- Royal Australian Air Force 17 December 2014: Honorary Air Commodore of No. 23 Squadron RAAF
- Mason, James (2011). Churchie: The Centenary Register. Brisbane, Australia: The Anglican Church Grammar School. ISBN 978-0-646-55807-3.
- "His Excellency the Honourable Paul de Jersey AC, Governor of Queensland". PGovernment House Queensland. govhouse.qld.gov.au/. Retrieved 2014-07-31.
- Oath of Office as Administrator of the Commonwealth, ComLaw, 24 September 2014.
- "de Jersey, Paul". Search Australian Honours. Australian Government. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
John Murtagh Macrossan
|Chief Justice of Queensland
|Governor of Queensland