Paul van Geert
|Paul van Geert|
8 January 1950|
David van Geert (1972)
|Thesis||Language development in the light of cognition and perception (1975)|
|Doctoral students||Marijn van Dijk (2004)|
|Website||van Geert on the website of the University of Groningen|
Paul van Geert is a Professor of developmental psychology at the University of Groningen, Netherlands. He is renowned for her work on developmental psychology and the application of dynamical systems theory in social science.
Between 1967 and 1971 van Geert studied psychology and educational sciences at the Ghent University, Belgium. In 1975 he was awarded with a PhD in Developmental psychology. In 1976 he became a lecturer at the University of Groningen.
In 1976 he was appointed as a Lecturer and in 1978 he became a Senior Lecturer at the University of Groningen. Between 1978 and 1979 he was a fellow at the Netherlands Institute of Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences. In 1985 he was appinted as a Professor of Psychology and a Chair of Developmental Psychology at the University of Groningen. Between 1990 and 1992 he was the Dean of the Department of Psychology at the University of Groningen. Between 1992 and 1993 he was a fellow at the Center of Advanced Studies in the Behavioural Sciences at Stanford University, California, The United States.
He supervised his future colleague at the University of Groningen, Marijn van Dijk, who obtained her PhD Degree in 2004. The title of her Phd Thesis was Child Language Cuts Capers: Variability and Ambiguity in Early Child Develpment.
- A Dynamic Systems Model of Cognitive and Language Growth (1991)
- Dynamic Systems of Development: Change between Complexity and Chaos (1994)
- "A dynamic systems model of cognitive and language growth." (1991)
- "A dynamic systems model of basic developmental mechanisms: Piaget, Vygotsky, and beyond." (1998)
- "The dynamics of general developmental mechanisms: From Piaget and Vygotsky to dynamic systems models." (2000)
- "Focus on variability: New tools to study intra-individual variability in developmental data." (2002)
- "Dynamic systems approaches and modeling of developmental processes." (2003)
- "Explaining after by before: Basic aspects of a dynamic systems approach to the study of development." (2005)
- "The dynamics of scaffolding." (2005)
- "Wobbles, humps and sudden jumps: A case study of continuity, discontinuity and variability in early language development." (2007)
- "Time and identity: A framework for research and theory formation." (2008)
- "The dynamic systems approach in the study of L1 and L2 acquisition: An introduction." (2008)
- Dynamic approach to second language development
- Developmental psychology
- Dynamical systems theory
- Marijn van Dijk
- Marjolijn Verspoor
- Wander Lowie
- Kees de Bot
- "Child language cuts capers: variability and ambiguity in early child develpment". University of Groningen. 2004.
- "Paul van Geert - Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences". University of Groningen. 19 January 2018.
- "Paul van Geert CV". paulvangeert.nl. 2018.
- "A dynamic systems model of cognitive and language growth". APA PsycNET. 1991.
- "A Dynamic Approach to Second Language Development - Methods and techniques". University of Groningen. 2002.
- "Focus on variability: New tools to study intra-individual variability in developmental data". APA PsycNET. 2002.
- "Marijn van Dijk: Child Language Cuts Capers: Variability and Ambiguity in Early Child Develpment". University of Groningen. 2004.
- van Geert, Paul (1991). A Dynamic Systems Model of Cognitive and Language Growth. Psychological Review.
- van Geert, Paul (1994). Dynamic Systems of Development: Change between Complexity and Chaos. Harvester, New York. p. 300.
- Professor van Geert on the University of Groningen's website: https://www.rug.nl/staff/p.l.c.van.geert/