Paul von Hase
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Paul von Hase|
Paul von Hase
24 July 1885|
Hanover, German Empire
|Died||8 August 1944
Berlin, Plötzensee Prison
|Allegiance|| German Empire
|Years of service||1905–1944|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Relations||Karl-Günther von Hase (nephew)|
Hase was born in Hanover. He was the fifth child of Paul and Frieda von Hase. On 12 December 1921, Hase married Margarete, Baronesse von Funck in Neustreiltz. They had four children: Ina, Maria-Gisela, Alexander and Friedrich-Wilhelm.
- 1933–1934 Battalion commander in Neuruppin;
- 1934–1935 Battalion commander in Landsberg an der Warthe;
- 1935–1938 Commander 50th Regiment;
- 1939–1940 Commander 46th Division;
- 1940 Commander 56th Division;
- 1940–1944 City commandant of Berlin.
From 1938, Brigadier-General von Hase was privy to the conspiracy plans plotted by such men as Wilhelm Canaris, Hans Oster, Generals Erwin von Witzleben, Franz Halder and Erich Hoepner. He was an uncle of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the famous Lutheran pastor who also took part in the conspiracy.
On 20 July 1944, after the failed assassination of Hitler at the Wolf's Lair in East Prussia, Hase ordered Major Otto Ernst Remer of the Infantry Regiment Großdeutschland to seal off the government quarter in Berlin during the subsequent coup d'état attempt. Remer later removed the cordon and Hase was arrested by the Gestapo that evening whilst he was dining with Joseph Goebbels.
- Roland Kopp, Paul von Hase. Von der Alexander-Kaserne nach Plötzensee. Eine deutsche Soldatenbiographie 1885–1944; Münster – Hamburg – London (LIT) 2001
- Heinrich Bücheler, Paul von Hase. Der Wehrmachtkommandant von Groß-Berlin 1940–1944; in: Damals 7 (Juli 1984), 611 ff.
- Familientafel 1996, Ulrike von Hase-Schmundt, editor, Munchen, Germany.
- Joachim Fest (1994). Plotting Hitler's Death: The German Resistance to Hitler, 1933-1945. Weidenfield & Nicholson. ISBN 0-297-81774-4.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 543.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paul von Hase.|
Generalmajor Karl Kriebel
|Commander of 56. Infanterie-Division
July 1940 – November 1940
Generalleutnant Karl von Oven