Paula Spencer (journalist)
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Paula Spencer is an American journalist and author who specializes in parenting and family, pregnancy, women's health, and related social issues. She is a contributing editor to Parenting, Baby Talk, and Woman's Day. She has written or co-authored a dozen books and more than 400 articles for national magazines. She has also made television, radio, and speaking appearances.
Paula Spencer has 4 children; Henry, Eleanor, Margaret, and Page.
A native of Warren, Michigan, Paula Spencer graduated from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa. Before becoming a full-time writer, Spencer (also known as Paula Patyk Spencer) was an editor in New York City and in Knoxville, Tennessee.
As an editorial director at Whittle Communications, a media company half-owned by Time Inc., she headed health, parenting, travel, and lifestyle publications. They included Travel Life, a bimonthly magazine for travel professionals (twice a finalist in the Magazine Week Publishing Excellence Awards).
She is a senior editor at Caring.com, a website for adult children who are their parents' caregivers. Spencer also writes the blog Momfidence!, which can also be found at the Warner Brothers website Momlogic.com.
Spencer is a member of the Authors Guild (2004–present); the American Society of Journalists and Authors (1995–present); the American Pie Council (2004–present); and the American Society of Magazine Editors (1986–1999).
She is a member of the Medical Journalism Advisory Board for the School of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
Spencer has appeared on The CBS Early Show and Oprah!. She has given talks on writing and parenting for the American Library Association, the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the North Carolina Writer's Network, the Wisconsin Early Childhood Association, Women Today Expo, Wisconsin Early Childhood Association annual meeting (Parent Night keynote), Charlotte Parent Moms@Work and Carolina Parent Women@Work events (keynote), Southern Women’s Show, Mothers of Boys Clubs, Women Today Expo, Knoxville Writer’s Guild, North Carolina Writer’s Network Fall Conference, and as a guest lecturer at University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill's School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Awards and honors
Awards and honors include the American Speech Language Hearing Association 2006 Media Award; National Women’s Political Caucus Emma Award for News Features, Large-Circulation Magazines; Western Publications Association “Maggie” for Consumer Magazine Article; and the Arthritis Foundation Russell Cecil Award for Magazine Writing.
- Momfidence!: An Oreo Never Killed Anyone and Other Secrets of Happier Parenting (Crown, 2006).
- Parenting Guide to Positive Discipline
- Parenting Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Parenting Guide to Your Toddler
- Everything Else You Need to Know When You're Expecting: The New Etiquette for the New Mom
- Pregnancy Journal: A Week-By-Week Guide to a Happy, Health Pregnancy
- Parenting: The New Mom's Gift Kit
- Body, Soul, and Baby: A Doctor's Guide to the Complete Pregnancy Experience, from Preconception to Postpartum (with Dr. Tracy Gaudet)
- Consciously Female: How to Listen to Your Body and Your Soul for a Lifetime of Healthier Living (with Dr. Tracy Gaudet)
- The Happiest Toddler on the Block (with Harvey Karp)
- The V Book (with Dr. Elizabeth Stewart)
- Bright from the Start (with Jill Stamm)
Work in Anthologies
- The Experts' Guide to the Baby Years (Clarkson Potter, 2006)
- Guideposts for the Spirit: Stories for Sisters (Ideals, 2003)