|Born||Mary Paula Wilcox
13 December 1949
Manchester, Lancashire, England
|Spouse(s)||Derek Seaton (1970-79; his death)
Nelson "Skip" Riddle (1991-present)
Mary Paula Wilcox (born 13 December 1949) is an English actress. She is best known for her role as Chrissy Plummer in the British comedy Man About the House (1973–1976) and later as Hilary Potts in Emmerdale.
Wilcox first came to public attention whilst a member of the National Youth Theatre, which she joined aged seventeen. She appeared in Coronation Street in 1969 as Ray Langton's sister Janice. She was offered her first starring television role in The Lovers, a Granada sitcom produced for the ITV network largely written by Jack Rosenthal and co-starring Richard Beckinsale. There were two series of The Lovers, plus a feature film. She appeared in an episode of The Benny Hill Show (Thames) broadcast on 23 February 1972.
Wilcox was cast in one of the lead roles of Man About the House (Thames, 1973–76) as Chrissy Plummer, who was regularly in a flirtatious battle of wits with her male flatmate Robin, played by Richard O'Sullivan. The series ran for six series and the main cast also featured in the spin-off feature film. Her follow-up role was as the eponymous single mother in Miss Jones and Son (1977–78).
In 1991, Wilcox returned to situation comedy as Ros West in a Yorkshire Television sitcom called Fiddlers Three opposite Peter Davison before playing the character of Ivy Sandford in the pilot of Frank Skinner's Blue Heaven on Channel 4 in 1992 - the show then went on to become a series. She appeared in several series of The Queen's Nose (1995–2001), and also played small roles in the films The Higher Mortals (1993) and the Woody Allen movie Scoop (2006).
On 27 October 2006, Wilcox appeared in the Only Fools and Horses spin-off The Green Green Grass as Marlene's sister. She has also played another character in the Only Fools and Horses universe, appearing in 2 episodes of Rock and Chips, playing Edward "Grandad" Trotter's estranged wife Violet. In 2007 Wilcox joined the cast of Emmerdale as Hilary Potts, mother of the vicar's wife, Laurel Thomas (Charlotte Bellamy).
In addition to her other work, Wilcox has made guest appearances in programmes such as Footballers' Wives, Holby City and Down to Earth. She was cast as Lilian in the BBC Three sitcom The Smoking Room.
In 2014, she had a starring role in the comedy series Boomers and the following year she had a role in an episode of Still Open All Hours.
|1969||Coronation Street||Janice Langton|
|1969 to 1970||The Dustbinmen||Naomi|
|1970 to 1971||The Lovers||Beryl Battersby|
|1971 to 1972||The Liver Birds||Gloria Titlark|
|1973 to 1976||Man About the House||Chrissy Plummer||Regular role; 39 episodes|
|1977 to 1978||Miss Jones and Son||Elizabeth Jones|
|1985||The Bright Side||Cynthia Bright|
|1991||Fiddlers Three||Ros West|
|1992 to 1994||Blue Heaven||Ivy Sandford|
|1995-2001||The Queen's Nose||Mrs Parker|
|2001||Footballers' Wives||Marguerite Laslett|
|2004 to 2005||The Smoking Room||Lillian|
|2006||The Large Family||Mrs. Large (voice)|
|2006||The Green Green Grass||Pertunia Lane|
|2007–2008||Emmerdale||Hilary Potts||Regular role; 40 episodes|
|2008||A Touch of Frost||Gloria Collingham|
|2010 to 2011||Rock & Chips||Violet Trotter|
|2014||Jonathan Creek||Hazel Prosser|
|2015||Still Open All Hours||Linda|
|2016||Upstart Crow||Mary Shakespeare|
- Neil Cooper (7 November 2012). "What the Dickens?". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Paula Wilcox." United Kingdom: Castaway.org.uk. Web. 9 January 2012.
- "Paula Wilcox has Great Expectations about playing Miss Havisham at Birmingham's New Alexandra Theatre « Express & Star". Expressandstar.com. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "The Benny Hill Show - Season 3, Episode 3: Show 12". TV.com. 23 July 2007. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Lorraine Fisher (10 January 2009). "As he grows worryingly frail, Richard O'Sullivan's former co-star and lover says... I still love my Man About The House". Daily Mail. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Paula Wilcox as single mum in Miss Jones and Son - Sally Thomsett Videos : Firstpost Topic - Page 1". Firstpost.com. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Paula Wilcox : Actress - Films, episodes and roles on". Digiguide.tv. 13 December 1949. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Great Expectations for Paula Wilcox in Havisham role". Woking News and Mail. 17 September 2012. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Curley, Evelyn (19 June 2008). "Whatever Happened to the Cotton Dress Girl?". The Stage. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- High, Chris (30 April 2010). "Canary". The Stage. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Gordon, Bryony (11 August 2014). "Paula Wilcox: 'These days it's the old ones who are naughty'". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 11 August 2017.