Pauline Gedge (born December 11, 1945) is a Canadian novelist best known for her historical fiction novels, including the best-selling Child of the Morning, The Eagle and the Raven, her fantasy novel Stargate, and her Egyptian trilogies, Lords of the Two Lands and The King’s Man. She also writes science fiction, fantasy and horror. Her 13 novels have sold more than six million copies in 18 languages.
Her first four novels were published with cover art by Leo and Diane Dillon. The Dillons almost never authorized their work for sale beyond that directly commissioned, but reproductions of their covers of Gedge's novels were made available for sale via an agreement between Gedge and Diane Dillon, who met in the late 1970s.
Life and career
She studied at the University of Manitoba and at a teachers' college in New Zealand.
Gedge wrote unpublished poetry for years. She tried to write contemporary mainstream fiction in the early 1970s and then gave up, turning to ancient Egypt for inspiration. She based her first published novel, Child of the Morning, on the historical figure of Hatshepsut, Egypt’s only female pharaoh. She wrote the novel in six weeks and went on to win the Alberta Search-for-a-New Novelist Competition in 1977.
Gedge's ex-husband, Bernie Ramanauskas, provided the historical research for many of her novels. Gedge has two sons, Simon and Roger.
Prizes and honours
- 1977 Alberta Search-for-a-New Novelist Competition
- 1978 Jean Boujassy award from the Société des Gens des Lettres
- 1985 Writers' Guild of Alberta's Georges Bugnet Award for Novel
- Child of the Morning (1977)
- The Eagle and the Raven (1978)
- Stargate (1982)
- The Twelfth Transforming (1984)
- Scroll of Saqqara (1990) (published under the title Mirage in the U.S.)
- The Covenant (1992)
- House of Dreams (1994) (a.k.a. Lady of the Reeds)
- House of Illusions (1996)
- Lords of the Two Lands trilogy:
- The Hippopotamus Marsh: Lords of the Two Lands, Volume One (1998)
- The Oasis: Lords of the Two Lands, Volume Two (1999)
- The Horus Road: Lords of the Two Lands, Volume Three (2000)
- The King's Man trilogy:
- The Twice Born (2007)
- Seer of Egypt (2008)
- The King's Man (2011)
- Pauline Gedge Interview, Words At Large, CBC Radio, November 2007 Archived June 12, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Talk like an Egyptian, by Derek Weiler, Quill & Quire, April 1999
- Pauline Gedge Interview, Words At Large, CBC Radio, November 2007 Archived 2007-11-09 at the Wayback Machine
- Interview with Pauline Gedge, by Linda Richards, January Magazine, March 1999