Paulinus Igwe Nwagu
|Paulinus Igwe Nwagu|
|Member of House of Representatives|
May 2007 – May 2011
|Preceded by||May 2015|
|Preceded by||Julius Ucha|
|Succeeded by||Obinna Joseph Ogba|
|Born||12 June 1959|
|Political party||People's Democratic Party (PDP)|
Paulinus Igwe Nwagu (born 12 June 1959) is a Nigerian politician who was a representative for Ezzra North/Ishielu constituency of Ebonyi State, Nigeria in the House of Representatives. In the April 2011 national elections he was elected Senator for Ebonyi Central running on the People's Democratic Party (PDP) platform.
Early life and education
Nwagu was born on 12 June 1959, in Ebonyi State. He obtained a bachelor's degree in Political Science. He was Councillor for the Ezza North Local Government Council (1990–1993) and Chairman of the Ezza North Local Government Area (1999–2002).
Nwagu was elected as a member of the House of Representatives for the Ishielu constituency of Ebonyi's Ezzra North in April 2007, on the PDP platform. In the House, he was appointed to committees on Youth and Social Development, Public Procurement, Police Affairs, Petroleum Resources (Downstream), Environment and Emergency & Disaster Management. He was chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Rural Development. In 2009, Igwe was arrested and detained at Kuje Prisons in Abuja by the Nigerian anti-crime agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over his alleged involvement in a N5.2 billion ($34.66 million) electric power scam.
In the January 2011 PDP primaries for the Ebonyi Central Senatorial seat, Nwagu was declared the nominated candidate of the PDP following the boycott of exercise by other contestants for alleged irregularities, including the use of ballot papers meant for Kwara State to conduct the Ebonyi Central election. He won the April 2011 election won with 55,016 votes on the PDP platform. Ugo Chima of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) received 41,096 votes.
- "HON. PAULINUS IGWE NWAGU". The House of Representatives. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- . BusinessDay http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/2742-efcc-may-make-more-arrests-to-arraign-ugbane-elumelu-others-today. Retrieved 2013-03-12. Missing or empty
- "Shoddy jobs: NASS threatens to sanction erring contractors". Nigerian Tribune. 15 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- Sobechi, Leo. "PDP senators, reps reject primaries over alleged fraud". Nigerian Guardian. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "More Nigerian federal lawmakers lose return tickets in". WorldStage. January 9, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- JEFF AMECHI AGBODO (12 April 2011). "PDP wins Ebonyi Central senatorial, Reps seats". Nigerian Compass. Retrieved 2011-05-06.