Paulo Costa (fighter)
Costa in 2017
|Born||April 21, 1991|
Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
|Other names||Borrachinha (The Eraser)|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||72 in (183 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Team||Team Nogueira Champion Team|
Clube Atlético Mineiro
Fight Ready (2017–present)
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Paulo Henrique Costa (born April 21, 1991) is a Brazilian professional mixed martial artist. He currently fights as a Middleweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). As of October 19, 2020, he is #3 in the UFC middleweight rankings.
Costa, the son of odd-jobber Carlos Roberto and Maria Augusta, was born in 1991. He has an older brother, Carlos Costa, who is a former mixed martial artist and one of Paulo's coaches. Paulo grew up in Contagem playing soccer and eventually picking up Muay Thai at the age of nine in order to learn discipline and avoid street fights he was constantly getting into. As a teenager, Paulo joined a jiu-jitsu gym with his brother only to quit the sport after their father died of throat cancer when Paulo was 17. A couple of years later, Costa returned to jiu-jitsu and started competing under the tutelage of his brother who was already a purple belt at the time.
Mixed martial arts career
Costa made his professional MMA debut in his native country of Brazil in February 2012. Eventually his brother convinced their mother to support Paulo monetarily for a year in order to pursue his professional martial arts career. Over the next five years, he amassed a record of 8–0 with 7 knockouts and 1 submission.
The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil
Costa was chosen to be a fighter on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3. In the opening elimination round, he defeated José Roberto via submission (guillotine choke) in the second round. Costa was the second middleweight fighter chosen by coach Wanderlei Silva. His next fight was against Márcio Alexandre Jr., and Costa lost via split decision after three rounds.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Costa made his promotional debut on March 11, 2017, at UFC Fight Night 106 against Garreth McLellan. He won the fight via TKO in the first round, earning his first Performance of the Night award.
After the fight with Bamgbose, UFC offered a new contract but the parties did not come to an agreement with the financial terms. The UFC then proposed a fight with former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks, with a promise to renegotiate after the bout. Costa faced Hendricks on November 4, 2017, at UFC 217. He won the fight via TKO in the second round. After the bout Costa signed a new, multi-fight contract.
Costa was expected to face Uriah Hall on April 21, 2018, at UFC Fight Night 128. However, Costa pulled out of the fight in mid-March with an arm injury. In turn, promotion officials elected to pull Hall from that event entirely and reschedule the pairing for July 7, 2018, at UFC 226. Costa won the fight via technical knockout in round two. The win earned him his second Performance of the Night award.
Costa was scheduled to face Yoel Romero on November 3, 2018, at UFC 230. However, Romero indicated in mid-August that, while he had been cleared to fight, his medics had recommended that he wait another four to five months to allow facial injuries incurred during his most recent fight to fully heal.
The bout was rescheduled again, and was expected to take place on April 27, 2019, at UFC on ESPN 3. Costa was removed from the card for an undisclosed reason. He was replaced by Ronaldo Souza. Romero then pulled out of the fight due to pneumonia, and Costa was scheduled to face Souza, but a United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) investigation prevented Costa from participating, so neither Romero nor Costa competed in the event.
It was revealed that Costa had been suspended for six months by USADA and Comissão Atlética Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA) for receiving prohibited intravenous infusions (IV) more than 100 mL in 12 hours after the weigh-ins in June 2017 at UFC 212 against Oluwale Bamgbose and November 2017 at UFC 217 against Johny Hendricks. Costa was fined a third of his purse of the fights, which were reverted to his opponents. The suspension was retroactive to August 10, 2018, and Costa was eligible to fight again in February 2019. On March 23, 2020, Lucas Penchel MSc, who provided the infusions in question, accepted a two-year ban from USADA, starting on March 13, 2020.
On the strength of his five fight win streak in the UFC, Costa faced Israel Adesanya for the UFC Middleweight Championship on September 27, 2020 at UFC 253. He lost the fight via technical knockout in the second round.
Championships and accomplishments
- Jungle Fight
- Middleweight Championship (One time)
- One successful title defense
- Ultimate Fighting Championship)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|14 matches||13 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||13–1||Israel Adesanya||TKO (punches)||UFC 253||September 27, 2020||2||3:59||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||For the UFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||13–0||Yoel Romero||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 241||August 17, 2019||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–0||Uriah Hall||TKO (punches)||UFC 226||July 7, 2018||2||2:38||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||11–0||Johny Hendricks||TKO (punches)||UFC 217||November 4, 2017||2||1:23||New York City, New York, United States|
|Win||10–0||Oluwale Bamgbose||TKO (punches)||UFC 212||June 3, 2017||2||1:06||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||9–0||Garreth McLellan||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum||March 11, 2017||1||1:17||Fortaleza, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||8–0||Adriano Balby de Araujo||TKO (punch)||Jungle Fight 90||September 3, 2016||1||3:25||São Paulo, Brazil||Defended the Jungle Fight Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Eduardo Ramón||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Jungle Fight 87||May 21, 2016||1||2:40||São Paulo, Brazil||Won the vacant Jungle Fight Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||6–0||Bruno Assis||TKO (punches)||Jungle Fight 84||December 5, 2015||1||1:17||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||5–0||Wagner Silva Gomes||TKO (punches)||FTF 11||April 24, 2015||1||4:37||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Won the vacant Face to Face Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Gérson da Conceição||TKO (doctor stoppage)||FTF 9||December 19, 2014||1||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||3–0||Fábio Moreira||TKO (punches)||BH Fight: MMA Grand Prix||November 1, 2013||1||1:26||Belo Horizonte, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Ademilson Borges||TKO (punches)||Upper Fight: MMA Championship 2||June 15, 2013||1||0:32||Teófilo Otoni, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Téo Esteves||TKO (punches)||MMA Total Combat: Santa Luzia||February 5, 2012||1||2:08||Santa Luzia, Brazil||Middleweight debut.|
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|2 matches||1 win||1 loss|
|Loss||1–1||Márcio Alexandre Jr.||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3||April 20, 2014 (airdate)||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil||The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 Quarterfinal Round.|
|Win||1–0||José Roberto||Submission (guillotine choke)||March 9, 2014 (airdate)||2||N/A||The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 Elimination Round.|
|UFC 253||Adesanya vs. Costa||27 September 2020||Flash Forum||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||700,000|
- Brett Okamoto (September 25, 2020). "UFC 253: Paulo Costa's incredible UFC journey, as told by those who know him". ESPN.
- Kaue Macedo (September 2, 2016). "Promessa brasileira no peso médio, Paulo Borrachinha lidera card do Jungle Fight 90" (in Portuguese). Nocaute na Rede.
- "Paulo Borrachinha". UFC. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- "Rankings | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2020-10-20.
- Guilherme Cruz (August 17, 2019). "'Troublemaker': Paulo Costa's endless quest for greatness". mmafighting.com.
- "Paulo Henrique". Sherdog. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- Chiappetta, Mike. "Unbeaten Knockout Machine Paulo Borrachinha Carries Hopes of Brazil's UFC Future". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- "Garreth McLellan quickly replaces Alex Nicholson at UFC Fight Night 106". MMA Junkie. 2017-01-20. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-03-11). "UFC Fight Night 106 results: Paulo Borrachinha thrashes Garreth McLellan for 77-second debut TKO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Tristen Critchfield (2017-03-29). "Paulo 'Borrachinha,' Oluwale Bamgbose to clash at UFC 212 in Rio de Janeiro". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- Dave Doyle (2017-06-03). "UFC 212 results: Paulo Borrachinha blasts Oluwale Bamgbose". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- Guilherme Cruz (August 31, 2018). "Paulo Costa gambled with the UFC on contract negotiation — and won". mmafighting.com.
- Staff (2017-08-09). "Former champion Johny Hendricks set to meet Brazil's Paulo Borrachinha at UFC 217". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "UFC 217 results: Paulo Costa stops Johny Hendricks with strikes". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Keith Shillan (2018-02-07). "Uriah Hall vs Paulo Borrachinha in the works for UFC in Atlantic City". themmatakeover.com. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Staff (2018-03-13). "Biceps injury knocks Paulo Costa out of fight with Uriah Hall at UFC-Atlantic City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- Michael Fiedel (2018-04-18). "According to Paulo Costa his fight with Uriah Hall rebooked for UFC 226". mma-today.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.[permanent dead link]
- "UFC 226 results: Paulo Costa decimates Uriah Hall for TKO victory". MMAjunkie. 2018-07-08. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- Staff (2018-07-07). "TUF 27 Finale bonuses: 'Violent Bob Ross' Luis Pena gets a happy accident worth $50k". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- Mark La Monica (2018-07-24). "Paulo Costa vs. Yoel Romero set for UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden". newsday.com. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- Ariel Helwani (2018-08-20). "Yoel Romero: Doctor says I need 4-5 months to heal before next fight". espn.com. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- Adam Guillen Jr. (2019-01-22). "Yoel Romero vs Paulo Costa targeted as UFC on ESPN 3 headliner on April 27 in Miami". mmmania.com. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2019-04-04). "Yoel Romero out of UFC Fort Lauderdale main event". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- Marcelo Russio (2019-04-04). "Romero gets sick and UFC plans Paulo Borrachinha vs. Ronaldo Jacaré in Fort Lauderdale" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- Raimondi, Marc (2019-04-26). "Paulo Costa suspended six months by USADA for prohibited IV use". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- Baldwin, Nick (2019-04-27). "UFC's Paulo Costa used 'substantial assistance' clause to get reduced USADA suspension". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- "Paulo Costa accepts six-month USADA suspension, receives fines for IV use". MMA Junkie. 2019-04-26. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Mike Bohn (March 23, 2020). "Doctor who gave IVs to UFC's Paulo Costa gets two-year USADA suspension". mmajunkie.com.
- Jesse Holland (2019-05-07). "Yoel Romero vs Paulo Costa rebooked for UFC 241 in Anaheim". mmmania.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Anderson, Jay (2019-08-17). "UFC 241 Results: Yoel Romero and Paulo Costa Slug It Out in Barn-Burner". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- Haynes, Stephie (2019-08-18). "UFC 241 post-fight bonuses: Romero-Costa war nabs FOTN honors". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- "Sources: UFC sets Adesanya-Costa for Sept. 19". ESPN.com. 2020-07-18. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "UFC 253 updates: Adesanya defeats Costa". NewsComAu. 2020-09-27. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "UFC Fight Night 106 bonuses: With no 'Fight of Night,' who took home the 4 performance honors?". MMAjunkie. 2017-03-12. Retrieved 2017-11-04.
- "UFC 226 bonuses: Daniel Cormier, not surprisingly, among $50,000 winners in Vegas". MMAjunkie. 2018-07-08. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- "MMA Junkie's 'Fight of the Month' for August: Middleweights meet expectations". mmajunkie.com. September 2, 2019.
- Sherdog.com. "Paulo Henrique". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- Coppinger, Mike. "Sources: UFC 253 generated more than 700,000 PPV buys globally". The Athletic. Retrieved 2 October 2020.