|Minister of Economy|
|Assumed office |
1 January 2019
|Preceded by||Eduardo Guardia|
Paulo Roberto Nunes Guedes
24 August 1949
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Education||Federal University of Minas Gerais|
Getúlio Vargas Foundation
University of Chicago (M.S., Ph.D.)
Paulo Roberto Nunes Guedes (born 24 August 1949) is a Brazilian economist and co-founder of the investment bank BTG Pactual. He is also a co-founder of the think-tank Instituto Millenium, and was the economic advisor for the campaign of President Jair Bolsonaro. He currently serves as the Minister of the Economy in the Bolsonaro administration.
Born in Rio de Janeiro, Guedes attended the Federal University of Minas Gerais as an undergraduate, and later received a master's degree in economics from the Getúlio Vargas Foundation. In 1974 Guedes moved with his wife to the United States to attend the University of Chicago. Then an advocate of Keynesian economics influenced by Paul Samuelson and Franco Modigliani, Guedes adhered to liberalism while attending the University of Chicago, where he was taught by Milton Friedman. His areas of academic focus included macroeconomics, international commerce and econometrics. Guedes received his Ph.D. in 1978.
In 1983 Guedes was one of the co-founders of Banco Pactual, now BTG Pactual, alongside André Jacurski and Luiz Cezar Fernandes. During the 1980s he was a professor of graduate economics at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, the Getúlio Vargas Foundation and the National Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics. During the military dictatorship of Chile, Guedes was a professor at the University of Chile. He is a co-founder of the liberal think-tank Millenium Institute. From 1983 to 1999 Guedes was executive director of Ibmec. Guedes was also a columnist for O Globo, Folha de São Paulo and Exame. Guedes published a piece for the Globo newspaper in 2017 praising Operation Car Wash and the judiciary's efforts to curb corruption and impunity.
Currently, Guedes is a partner at Bozano Investimentos.
As of October 2018, Guedes is being probed by the Federal Public Ministry (MPF) for allegations that he mismanaged investments received from public pension funds. Guedes has denied wrongdoing and said the investigation is politically motivated and "meant to confuse voters". In December 2018 the Federal Police accepted the MPF's request to open an investigation into Guedes's practices regarding pension funds.
In 2018 Guedes was named as the economic advisor for the campaign of Jair Bolsonaro in the 2018 presidential election. Guedes is the candidate's likely pick for Minister of the Economy in a future cabinet. As Bolsonaro's economic spokesperson, Guedes has advocated for the privatisation of all state-owned companies, and has defended some of the reforms of President Michel Temer, such as limits to public spending and higher interest rates for loans from BNDES. Guedes supports a single, value-added federal tax instead of Brazil's current tax system. He also defends income tax exemption for people who make up to five minimum wages (as of 2019, the minimum wage in Brazil is R$998/month).
- O que pensa Paulo Guedes, o cérebro econômico de Jair Bolsonaro, Exame, accessed 9 October 2018
- Ministério da Economia unificará Fazenda, Planejamento e Indústria, diz Paulo Guedes, G1
- Perfil de Paulo Guedes, UOL, accessed 9 October 2018
- Economista de Bolsonaro, Paulo Guedes viveu mudança radical em Chicago, Folha de S. Paulo, accessed 15 October 2018
- Bloomberg profile, accessed 9 October 2018
- Paulo Guedes, o liberal do militar, Veja, accessed 9 October 2018
- Bio, Localiza, accessed 16 October 2018
- Quem é Paulo Guedes, o ministro da Fazenda se Bolsonaro for presidente, InfoMoney, accessed 15 October 2018
- Economic guru for Brazil's presidential front-runner faces fraud probe, Reuters, accessed 15 October 2018
- MPF apura se economista da campanha de Bolsonaro cometeu irregularidades na gestão de fundos de investimento, Globo, accessed 15 October 2018
- PF abre inquérito para investigar elo de Paulo Guedes com suspeitas em fundos de pensão, G1
- Economista confirma aproximação com Bolsonaro, Estado de S. Paulo, accessed 9 October 2018
- Reuters, accessed 9 October 2018
- Advisor to right-wing Brazil candidate sayd "privatise it all", Reuters, accessed 15 October 2018
- Occhi della Guerra, accessed 28 december 2018
- Bolsonaro diz que se eleito não haverá espaço para indicações políticas nos ministérios, G1, accessed 16 October 2018
- Salário Minimo, accessed 5 January 2019
| Minister of Economy