Paulo Henrique Ganso
Ganso in 2010
|Full name||Paulo Henrique Chagas de Lima|
|Date of birth||12 October 1989|
|Place of birth||Ananindeua, Brazil|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:42, 5 December 2015 (UTC).
Paulo Henrique Chagas de Lima (born 12 October 1989), commonly known as Paulo Henrique Ganso or just Ganso, is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays for São Paulo FC as an attacking midfielder.
Ganso was brought to Tuna Luso after being discovered by former Brazil international Giovanni. At 15 he joined Paysandu, but he was snapped up by Santos in 2005. In 2007, after an injury that sidelined him for six months, Ganso played in and won the final of the U-20 Campeonato Paulista. He wore the number 10 jersey in Santos' campaign in the Copa São Paulo of 2008, where his team was eliminated in the quarter-finals by Sport Club Internacional. He won the 2010 Campeonato Paulista with Santos on 2 May 2010, defeating Santo André in the final. In August 2010, it was reported that Ganso would have surgery on his injured left knee and will be out for six months. In October, Santos offered "agent company" DIS Group (subsidiary of Sonda Group, a Brazil supermarket chain, which D stand for Sonda president Delcir Sonda) to buy 70% image rights of the player but the group did not accept the offer. He has a contract which will last until 28 February 2015 with a termination fee of €50 million. Group DIS reportedly owned 45% of the sporting rights of Ganso (which made the group eligible to receive 45% transfer fee from Santos) after the court ruled in their favour. The case was highly acclaimed by the crowd until the time of his dismissal. Ganso's nickname while at the club was "Mercenário".
On 20 September 2012, after a hard period of negotiation, it was confirmed by São Paulo, that Ganso had signed a five-year contract, for R$23.940 million transfer fee. Ganso will wear the number 8, previously used by Fabrício.
After coming back to a great shape, Lima was praised by his coach in São Paulo FC, Muricy Ramalho. According Ramalho, who worked with Ganso in Santos FC, when both of them won 2011 Copa Libertadores, and, in October 2013, when his shirt nº8 passed Jadson as the main assistant of Tricolor in 2013 season: "Now, we have a nº10 shirt [in Brazil, this number is associated to playmaking]".
Ganso started 2014 in a bad phase, but, after Jádson's coming out for Corinthians - in a negotiation that brought Alexandre Pato to opposite side - he gained number 10 shirt and waits his performances improve. According him: "I am very happy to wear the shirt of São Paulo and, now, wear the shirt number 10. This number was already worn by so many good players and I feel an immense happiness to be among them. [...] I think I can join useful with delightful: a classic football with the shirt number 10."
On July 22, 2015 Ganso came to a deal to join Orlando City SC as the two teams OCSC and São Paulo came to terms to resolve an issue over the money due from Ricardo Kaka's loan deal.
Orlando City would later close negotiations with São Paulo FC of the loan of Ganso due to "lack of response from São Paulo FC by the specified deadline. The Club will pursue a collection lawsuit for the non-payment of all the commitments owed by São Paulo FC as part of the loan deal of the player Kaká. No further comments will be issued on this matter."
In 2009 he was called up to play for Brazil in the World Under-20 Championships. In early 2010, the Brazilian media began calling for Brazilian national team coach Dunga to choose Ganso for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, primarily as a substitute for Kaká, because of their similar styles of play. On 11 May 2010, he was named as one of seven backup players for 23-men 2010 FIFA World Cup squad. On 26 July 2010, he was called up by the new coach Mano Menezes to the "Seleção" for a friendly match against USA. On 10 August 2010, in a friendly against the USA he made his senior debut, where one of his shots rattled the post, almost giving him his first senior international goal. He was named in Mano Menezes 23-man 2011 Copa America squad and given the number 10 shirt. During their group game against Paraguay, Ganso assisted Jádson's goal as well as a last minute goal from Fred to tie the game at 2–2.
Style of play
Ganso is capable of playing anywhere in midfield, and is regarded as a talented and elegant playmaker, with excellent dribbling, control, balance, vision, and passing, who excels at providing assists for team-mates. In addition to his creative and technical abilities, Ganso also possesses a powerful and accurate shot from distance, and he is also capable of aiding his team defensively, due to his work-rate, stamina, and physical qualities. Despite his talent, however, he has been criticised by some in the media for his lack of pace, mobility, and dynamism.
Ganso has been a fundamental presence in midfield for both Santos FC and São Paulo FC, due to the enormous quality of his passes. After being the favorite name to wear the number 10 shirt for Brazil in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Ganso was not called up for the tournament by Dunga, the nation's national football coach at the time, as the number 10 shirt went to Kakà. After suffering recurring injuries and a decrease in form, he subsequently lost his place in the Brazilian team, in favour of Oscar Emboaba, due to his performances with his club at the time, Chelsea FC. In 2012, Ganso refound his form and put on a notable performance in the derby against Corinthians, helping his team to a 3–1 victory, and, in 2013, he shone in a 2–0 win against Atlético Mineiro, as São Paulo advanced to the third stage of the 2013 Copa Libertadores.
After Muricy Ramalho's arrival, Ganso has recently put on good performances. On October 16, 2013, he scored a notable goal in São Paulo's 3–0 victory over Náutico in the Brazilian League, dribbling past four opponents before shooting on goal past the keeper.
After the transfer controversy, when fans of Santos, who did not accept the transfer of the player to rival São Paulo FC, erased an image of him on a wall of CT Rei Pelé, the training center of Peixe, the directors of club decided to repaint Ganso in the same place. According to the vice-president of club, Odílio Rodrigues, Ganso deserves that space because he "wrote a history" when played at Vila Belmiro.
- Campeonato Paulista (3): 2010, 2011, 2012
- Copa do Brasil (1): 2010
- Copa Libertadores (1): 2011
- Recopa Sudamericana (1): 2012
- São Paulo
- "Santos Futebol Clube – Site Oficial". Santosfc.com.br. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Brazil – Paulo Henrique Chagas de Lima – Profile with news, career statistics and history". Soccerway. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Adilson Barros Santos. "Globo Esporte: Ganso assina renovação, ganha aumento e é do Peixe até 2015". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Sky Sports Scout – Ganso". Sky Sports. 20 September 2010.
- "Santos' Ganso to have knee surgery, out for six months.". Sports Illustrated. 27 August 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Santos FC esclarece oferta de projeto de carreira a PH Ganso". Santos FC (in Portuguese). 22 October 2010. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- Santos FC financial report 2012 (Portuguese)
- "Santos libera Ganso para o São Paulo após penhorar CT; contrato será assinado na Vila". Universo Online. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Ganso assina contrato de cinco anos e, enfim, é jogador do São Paulo". globoesporte.com. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Honrado, Ganso assume a camisa 10 do São Paulo no lugar de Jadson
- "globoesporte.com > Estaduais > Campeonato Paulista – NOTÍCIAS – Ganso pede chance na seleção, e Dorival Júnior elogia 'atitude de homem' do meia". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Por GLOBOESPORTE.COM Monte Carlo, Mônaco (14 June 2010). "Massa 'corneta' seleção de Dunga e pede Neymar, Ganso e Ronaldinho , globoesporte.com". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Victor Canedo Rio de Janeiro. "globoesporte.com > Copa do Mundo 2010 – NOTÍCIAS – LEMBRA DELE? Éder pede Ganso e Neymar: ‘Se não levar tem que ser preso’". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Comissão técnica da Seleção Brasileira divulga a lista complementar enviada à FIFA". CBF.com.br (in Portuguese). 11 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- Terence Steed. "USA 0–2 Brazil: Young Samba Stars Regain Brazil's Spark". Goal.com. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Alfredo De Vuono. "Mini-inchiesta su Ganso, il '10' che fa impazzire di gusto Milan ed Inter" [Mini-inquiry on Ganso, the "number 10" that is driving Milan and Inter wild] (in Italian). Fanta Gazzetta. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- "Un'analisi accurata pro Ganso all'Inter" [A detailed pro-Ganso analysis for Inter] (in Italian). FC Inter News. 6 March 2011. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- Daniele Felicetti (3 July 2011). "Milan, Tavares: "Ganso più forte di Kakà"" [Milan, Tavares: "Ganso più forte di Kakà"] (in Italian). Tutto Mercato. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- "Brasile, Seedorf: Ganso troppo lento per l'Europa." [Brazil, Seedorf: Ganso too slow for Europe] (in Italian). Data Sport. 26 November 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- Após polêmica, imagem de Ganso nos muros do CR Rei Pelé será repintada (in Portuguese)
- "Melhor da Copa do Brasil, Ganso pede manutenção de Meninos da Vila , globoesporte.com". Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paulo Henrique Chagas de Lima.|
- Official website
- santos.globo.com (Portuguese)
- Player Profile The Elastico Next Wave
- Neymar and Ganso the crown jewels of Santos' new generation. SI.com. Tim Vickery. Published 18 April 2010.
- Ganso technical card on Sambafoot.com
- Paulo Henrique Ganso at ESPN FC