Paulo Mendes da Rocha
Paulo Mendes da Rocha
|Born||25 October 1928|
Vitória, Espírito Santo, Brazil
|Alma mater||Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie|
|Awards||Pritzker Architecture Prize (2006)|
|Buildings||Serra Dourada Stadium, Gymnasium in the Paulistano Athletics Club, Pinacoteca do Estado, National Coach Museum|
Mendes da Rocha attended the Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie College of Architecture, graduating in 1954. Working almost exclusively in Brazil, Mendes da Rocha has been producing buildings since 1957, many of them built in concrete, a method some call "Brazilian Brutalism", arguably allowing buildings to be constructed cheaply and quickly. He has contributed many notable cultural buildings to São Paulo and is widely credited as enhancing and revitalizing the city .
Mendes da Rocha was Professor at the Architecture College of University of São Paulo, known as FAU-USP, until 1998. His work is influenced by Brazilian architect Vilanova Artigas, from the paulist Brazilian School. He was honored with the Mies van der Rohe Prize (2000), the Pritzker Prize (2006) and the Venice Biennale Golden Lion for lifetime achievement (2016)
|Year||Building or product||Location|
|1957||Gymnasium in the Paulistano Athletics Club||São Paulo, Brazil|
|1957||Paulistano Armchair (reissued in 2004 by Objekto)|
|1964||The Guaimbê Residential Building||São Paulo, Brazil|
|1969||Brazil's pavilion at Expo '70||Osaka, Japan|
|1973||Serra Dourada Stadium||Goiânia, Brazil|
|1987||Saint Peter Chapel||São Paulo, Brazil|
|1987||Forma Furniture showroom||São Paulo, Brazil|
|1988||Brazilian Sculpture Museum||São Paulo, Brazil|
|1992||Patriarch Plaza and Viaduct do Chá||São Paulo, Brazil|
|1993||Pinacoteca do Estado||São Paulo, Brazil|
|1997||FIESP Cultural Center||São Paulo, Brazil|
|2002||Patriarch Plaza||São Paulo, Brazil|
|2015||National Coaches Museum||Lisbon, Portugal|
2017 Quelhas House, Lisbon
- [dead link]
- FERNANDES, Luiz Gustavo Sobral. O novo projeto para a loja Forma. Minha Cidade, São Paulo, ano 19, n. 225.05, Vitruvius, abr. 2019 <http://vitruvius.com.br/revistas/read/minhacidade/19.225/7329>.
- "Paulo Mendes da Rocha Awarded Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement". ArchDaily. 2016-05-06. Retrieved 2016-05-06.
- Artigas, Rosa: "Paulo Mendes da Rocha", Cosac & Naify
- Spiro, Annette: "Paulo Mendes da Rocha. Works and Projects".
- VAZ MILHEIRO, Ana; TAVARES, Gonçalo M.; SIMÕES, João Carmo. Paulo Mendes da Rocha: Museu Nacional dos Coches. Monade, Lisboa, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paulo Mendes da Rocha.|
|This article about a Brazilian architect is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|