Paulo Renato (footballer)
|Full name||Paulo Renato Valério Calado Rodrigues|
|Date of birth||14 May 1987|
|Place of birth||Alcácer do Sal, Portugal|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2006–2007||→ Real Massamá (loan)||24||(2)|
|2008–2009||→ Olhanense (loan)||1||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Estrela Amadora (loan)||29||(1)|
|2011||→ Mafra (loan)||7||(0)|
|2015||San Jose Earthquakes||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Born in Alcácer do Sal, Renato was promoted from Sporting CP's famed youth academy in 2007–08, after having spent his first senior year at lowly Real S.C. on loan. At the end of the season he was loaned again, to second division side S.C. Olhanense, returning to Sporting in June 2009.
In the summer of 2009 yet another loan for Renato befell, now to C.F. Estrela da Amadora; the Lisbon-based club had just finished in midtable in the Primeira Liga, but was relegated to the third level due to irregularities. He subsequently returned to Olhanense, with the Algarve team now in the top flight.
From 2010 to 2015, Renato alternated between the second and third tiers, representing no fewer than six clubs. On 26 February 2015 he moved abroad for the first time, signing with Major League Soccer side San Jose Earthquakes. He made his debut in top-division football on 7 March at the age of 27, featuring 90 minutes in a 0–1 away loss against FC Dallas.
- Paulo Renato reforça Olhanense (Paulo Renato bolsters Olhanense); Mais Futebol, 2 July 2010 (in Portuguese)
- Paulo Renato está de regresso ao Operário (Paulo Renato returns to Operário); Diário da Lagoa, 23 February 2016 (in Portuguese)
- San Jose Earthquakes sign Portuguese defender Paulo Renato; Major League Soccer, 26 February 2015
- San Jose Earthquakes lose MLS opener to FC Dallas; Times-Standard, 7 March 2015
- CORRECÇÃO: Futebol/Mundial Sub-20: Portugal eliminado por Chile (0–1) acaba com nove em campo (CORRECTION: Football/Under-20 World Cup: Portugal ousted by Chile (0–1) end with nine on the pitch); Jornal de Notícias, 13 July 2007 (in Portuguese)