Pavel A. Pevzner
Pavel Arkadevich Pevzner
|Alma mater||Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology|
ISCB Senior Scientist Award
|Institutions||University of Southern California|
Pennsylvania State University
University of California, San Diego
|Academic advisors||Michael Waterman|
|Doctoral students||Vineet Bafna|
Pavel Arkadevich Pevzner (Russian: Павел Аркадьевич Певзнер) is the Ronald R. Taylor Professor of Computer Science and Director of the NIH Center for Computational Mass Spectrometry at University of California, San Diego. He serves on the Editorial Board of PLoS Computational Biology and he is a member of the Genome Institute of Singapore scientific advisory board.
Pevzner received his Ph.D. in Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology while working for Russian Research Institute for Genetics and Selection of Industrial Microorganisms (NII Genetika). In 1990, he joined Michael Waterman's laboratory at the Department of Mathematics at the University of Southern California for two years as a postdoctoral research associate.
Career and research
Pevzner is interested in new approaches to teaching computational molecular biology at both undergraduate and graduate level, serving as a founding instructor for the Bioinformatics Specialization on Coursera and having written several books on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology.
In 1995, Pevzner moved back to the University of Southern California as a Professor of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Molecular Biology. Since 2000, he has been the Ronald R. Taylor Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, San Diego and he is the Director of the NIH Center for Computational Mass Spectrometry.
- Computational Molecular Biology, MIT Press, 2000
- An Introduction to Bioinformatics Algorithms, MIT Press, 2004 (co-authored with Neil Jones)
- Bioinformatics for Biologists, Cambridge University Press, 2011 (co-edited with Ron Shamir)
- Bioinformatics Algorithms: An Active Learning Approach, Active Learning Publishers, 2014 (co-authored with Phillip Compeau)
Awards and honors
- NSF Young Investigator Award (1994, 1995)
- HHMI Professor award (2006) from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- UCSD Chancellor Associates Award for Excellence in Research (2007)
- ACM Fellow (2010), for contribution to algorithms for genome rearrangements, DNA sequencing, and proteomics
- Honoris causa degree (2011) from Simon Fraser University
- ISCB Fellow (2012)
- ISCB Senior Scientist Award (2017)
- ACM Paris Kanellakis Theory and Practice Award (2018)
- Pavel A. Pevzner publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Pavel A. Pevzner at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Pavel Pevzner's faculty profile, Departments of Computer Science and Engineering, University of California at San Diego.
- HHMI Scientist bio, Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Accessed June 13, 2011
- Pavel A. Pevzner publications from Europe PubMed Central
- Scientific Advisory Board, Genome Institute of Singapore.
- Pevzner, P.; Shamir, R. (2009). "Computing Has Changed Biology--Biology Education Must Catch Up". Science. 325 (5940): 541–542. Bibcode:2009Sci...325..541P. doi:10.1126/science.1173876. PMID 19644094. S2CID 32113631.
- Pevzner, P. A. (2004). "Educating biologists in the 21st century: Bioinformatics scientists versus bioinformatics technicians". Bioinformatics. 20 (14): 2159–2161. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/bth217. PMID 15073013.
- Pevzner, Pavel; Jones, Neil D. (2004). An introduction to bioinformatics algorithms. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-10106-6.
- Pevzner, Pavel (2000). Computational molecular biology: an algorithmic approach. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-16197-8.
- NSF Young Investigator: Computational Molecular Biology Award 1994
- NSF Young Investigator: Computational Molecular Biology Award 1995
- HHMI Names 20 New Million-Dollar Professors: Top Research Scientists Tapped for their Teaching Talent, Howard Hughes Medical Institute news-release, April 5, 2006. Accessed June 13, 2011.
- UCSD Faculty Excellence Awards 2007 — Pavel Pevzner
- ACM Fellow profile, Association for Computing Machinery. Accessed June 13, 2011
- TWO UC SAN DIEGO COMPUTER SCIENTISTS RECOGNIZED FOR CONTRIBUTIONS IN COMPUTER SYSTEMS SECURITY, BIOINFORMATICS, University of California, San Diego news release, December 8, 2010. Accessed June 13, 2011.
- Honorary Degree Citations: The degree of Doctor of Science, honoris causa, conferred on Dr. Pevzner, Friday, June 17, 2011.
- "February 09, 2017: ISCB Announces 2017 Award Recipients". www.iscb.org. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "ACM Paris Kanellakis Theory and Practice Award: Pavel Pevzner". Retrieved 2019-05-16.