Pavel Maslák at the 2015 European Indoor Championships
|Born||21 February 1991|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||67 kg (148 lb)|
|Club||ASC Dukla Praha|
|Coached by||Dalibor Kupka|
Pavel Maslák (Czech pronunciation: [ˈpavɛl ˈmaslaːk], born 21 February 1991) is a Czech sprinter who specialises in the 200 metres and 400 metres. Maslák is the first Czech to have run 400 metres under 45 seconds outdoor and under 46 seconds indoor.
He is a member of Dalibor Kupka's training group at ASC Dukla Praha. At the age of 20, Maslák won the 400 m bronze medal at the 2011 European Athletics U23 Championships and was a semi-finalist in the 200 m at the 2011 World Championships in Athletics. Next year, he finished fifth in the final of the 400 m at the 2012 IAAF World Indoor Championships.
In May 2012, Maslák set the Czech record in 400 m. His time of 45.31 cut almost half a second off the time reached by Karel Kolář at the same venue — Rošický Stadium — in 1978. In June 2012, he further improved the record by clocking 45.17 in Turin. At 2012 European Championships, Maslák won 400 m gold medal in a time of 45.24.
At 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Maslák competed in 400-metre and 200-metre dash. In 400 metres, he advanced from heats by setting a new national and personal best of 44.91 but did not manage to repeat the feat in semi-finals and finished fifth in his run. In 200 metres, Maslák finished fourth in Heat 5 in a time of 20.67 and did not progress further. In his last race of the 2012 season, Maslák set a national record of 20.59 in 200 metres dash.
At 2013 European Indoor Championships in Gothenburg, Pavel Maslák won a gold medal in 400 metres distance. In final, he slashed almost half a second from his personal best, improving it to 45.66. As a part of the Czech 4 x 400 metres relay team, he added a bronze medal.
During the 2016 season Maslák won gold in the 400 meters at the IAAF World Indoor Championships and came second at the European Athletics Championships. At the 2018 IAAF World Indoor Championships he successfully defended his 400 meter title with a time of 45.47 seconds.
- 100 m 10.30 (9 June 2017, Třinec, Czech Republic)
- 200 m 20.46 NR (9 June 2017, Třinec, Czech Republic)
- 400 m 44.79 NR (11 May 2014, Doha, Qatar)
- 500 m 1:00:35 (03 Aug 2013, Cheb, Czech Republic)
- 60 m 6.65 (15 Feb 2014, Praha (Stromovka), Czech Republic
- 200 m 20.52 (15 February 2014, Praha (Stromovka), Czech Republic)
- 400 m 45.24 NR (8 March 2014, Sopot, Poland)
- 500m 1:00.36 (25 Feb 2014, Praha (O2 Arena), Czech Republic
- Czech Olympic Team London 2012 Media Guide, p. 37. Retrieved on 2012-08-03.
- Czech and Turkish records, European leads for Stambolova, Harrer, Gollnow and Pavey. European Athletics. Retrieved on 2012-05-21.
- Pavel Maslák at IAAF.org
Media related to Pavel Maslák at Wikimedia Commons