Where good shoes cost less
|Industry||High Street retail|
|Founded||York, England (1971)|
Number of locations
|100+ shops (2013)|
|Republic of Ireland|
|Revenue||£65,000,000 (2008 estimated)|
Number of employees
The company has grown rapidly in recent years, both in retail operations (with further shops planned throughout 2014) and online. In 2011, Pavers launched its 24-hour TV footwear shopping channel on Sky 669 to allow customers to purchase shoes in their own homes via their television.
Pavers was established by Catherine Paver in 1971, with a £300 bank loan (equivalent to £4,000 in 2015), initially by organising shoe parties with clearance stock from shoe catalogues. The first shop was opened in Scarborough, along with stores in York and Hull. The shop in Newcastle soon followed.
Pavers continues to be a family-run business, run by Cathy's son Stuart Paver as the managing director. Ian and Graham Paver, Cathy's two other sons, have now both retired.
Stuart, along with Middlesbrough-based Steve Cochrane, owner of the Psyche Department Store, set up a sister company in 2000 to sell footwear online. This company recently amalgamated with Pavers, which brought the online shoe ordering ability with it.
Lifetime achievement award
Founder Cathy Paver was given a lifetime achievement award by her peers at the 2007 Drapers Footwear awards, 36 years after starting the company.
For the past 10 years, the company has been involved with sponsoring and supporting children in third-world countries. Currently, Pavers is sponsoring three children through Compassion International.
Pavers England Limited (PEL) is a joint venture between Pavers Ltd. and the Foresight Group. At a press launch,[when?] Pavers revealed that they expected a sales turnover of $10 million.
As part of the project, Pavers announced they would commission a $3 million footwear design studio in Chennai.
- http://www.drapersonline.com/features/paving_the_way.html Estimated turnover figures and staff levels
- UK Consumer Price Index inflation figures are based on data from Gregory Clark (2016), "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)", MeasuringWorth.com.
- Yorkshire Post
- Pavers Shoes History
- http://www.drapersonline.com/features/paving_the_way.html Paving the way - Drapers
- Pavers Shoes Community
- Pavers Shoes Marie Curie
- Pavers Shoes Charity Work
- The Hindu Business Line UK Based Pavers forays into India
- Hindu Times Pavers ties up with reliance footprint