|Suburb of George Town|
|• Chinese||垄尾 (Simplified)
|• Hokkien||lóng bóe|
|District||Northeast Penang Island|
|• Local government||Penang Island City Council|
|• Mayor of Penang Island||Patahiyah Ismail|
|• Paya Terubong State Assemblyman||Yeoh Soon Hin (DAP)|
|• Bukit Gelugor Member of Parliament||Ramkarpal Singh (DAP)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC+8)|
|• Summer (DST)||Not observed (UTC)|
Paya Terubong is a suburb of George Town in Penang, Malaysia. Located nearly 7 km (4.3 mi) southwest of George Town, it is nestled within the central valleys of Penang Island and south of Air Itam. It is also one of the most densely populated areas on Penang Island.
Paya Terubong first came into existence as an agricultural village. High-rise residences began to be built in the area in the 1980s, transforming Paya Terubong into a residential area.
Similar to Air Itam to the north, Paya Terubong was where agricultural farms were established, providing spices and vegetables to be traded in markets elsewhere on Penang Island. In the past, Paya Terubong Road (now Jalan Paya Terubong) was merely a hill path.
The area was only developed in the 1980s with the construction of residential high-rises to alleviate land scarcity on Penang Island. Hill slopes were cleared in the process. Initially, most of the residents worked in the Bayan Lepas Free Industrial Zone and commuted there via Jalan Paya Terubong, which is the only main road running through the area.
Among the more recent issues within Paya Terubong are the clearing of hills and daily traffic jams.
Paya Terubong Road remains the main thoroughfare within Paya Terubong. The road connects with Air Itam Road to the north and stretches towards the neighbourhood of Relau near the southern end of the central valleys. As Paya Terubong Road is the sole road which links the north and south of Penang Island through the central valleys, heavy traffic congestion occurs on a frequent basis. At the time of writing, construction of new roads and road expansions are being carried out to alleviate the daily traffic jams.
Rapid Penang buses 13, 201, 202, 306 and 502 serve the residents of the suburb, by connecting Paya Terubong with George Town to the northeast and other destinations on Penang Island, such as Air Itam, the Penang International Airport, Queensbay Mall and Balik Pulau.
The nearest schools are situated at neighbouring Air Itam. However, this may change in the near future. As of 2017[update], a Malaysian developer, Sunway Berhad, has submitted plans for a mixed development project at Paya Terubong, which will include a private college, to the Penang Island City Council.
The nearest supermarket is an Econsave outlet, which is actually located within the neighbourhood of Farlim, part of Air Itam. The upcoming mixed development project by Sunway, however, may include a shopping mall as well.
- "Yeoh Soon Hin: Paya Terubong state constituency needs realignment as voters exceed 40,000". Malaysian Chinese News.
- "Rising with the times But there’s much traffic congestion, lament residents - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "Extensive clearings scar Paya Terubong hills - anilnetto.com". anilnetto.com. 2016-08-06. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Cite error: The named reference
:1was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "'Lebuh raya' Paya Terubong dijangka siap 2019 – ADUN | Buletin Mutiara". www.buletinmutiara.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "Jln. berkembar Paya Terubong, bukti KN tunai janji | Buletin Mutiara". www.buletinmutiara.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "Sunway Valley City". Penang Property Talk. 2016-08-04. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "Sunway plans RM5bil projects in Penang - Business News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "Penang CM says may 'overlook' freeze on select mall projects". 2017-05-09. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- "Econsave | Locate Us". www.econsave.com.my. Retrieved 2017-05-20.