Poppets (or Paynes Poppets) are a confectionery manufactured by Fox's, first introduced in 1937 by Payne's fine confectionery in Croydon. When originally introduced, only Raisin Poppets were available. More flavours have since been introduced, including Mint, Toffee and Orange.
Poppets are best known for their iconic packaging in small, 40 gram, cardboard boxes. When other confectionery moved to plastic wrappers in the 1960s and 1970s, Poppets retained their traditional boxes. The box has a small hatch in one corner that can be torn open to dispense the sweets one at a time, this 'popping out' having given them their original name. The non-rustling packaging, and the ability to dispense single sweets in the dark, made them a popular snack in cinemas which remain one of their most popular sales outlets.
George Payne & Co. began production in the East End of London, before moving to Croydon Road, Beddington in Surrey in the 1930s. In 1998 it was purchased by Northern Foods. In 2001 the closure of the Croydon Road factory was announced, as part of a deal by Northern Foods to take over the Fox's factory in Leicester from Nestlé and relocate production of Poppets there.
In 2011, ten million Poppets were being consumed each week.
Flavours and formats
The orange and mint varieties are made of a fondant centre with a dark chocolate covering, while the strawberry fondant and other varieties have a milk chocolate coating. A salted caramel variety was made available in 2019.
Whilst 150 gram sharing sized bags can now be bought, Poppets remain best known for their box. Larger 145 gram boxes are also available.
- O'Grady, Sean (6 June 2009). "Minor British Institutions: Paynes Poppets". The Independent. London.
- Johnson, Michael. "poppets". Do You Remember?. Retrieved 5 February 2021.
- "Poppets factory to close its doors after 80 years". Croydon Guardian. 22 March 2001.
- "Fox's uses British icons to revitalise confectionery range". Design Week. 2006-10-05. Archived from the original on 5 November 2014.
- Pegden, Tom (30 November 2020). "Leicester's Fox's Glacier Mint factory sold - here's what's happening to it". Leicester Mercury. Retrieved 5 February 2021.
- Willers, Daniel (5 February 2021). "York-based Poppets factory to feature on TV documentary this weekend". York Press. Retrieved 5 February 2021.