Paythorne Methodist Chapel
|Paythorne shown within Lancashire|
|Population||95 (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Paythorne is a small village and civil parish in Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England. It is situated alongside the River Ribble, north-east of Clitheroe, and on the boundary with North Yorkshire. Other parishes adjacent to Paythorne are Halton West, Nappa (both in North Yorkshire), Newsholme, Horton, Gisburn, Sawley, Bolton-by-Bowland and Gisburn Forest (all in Lancashire). The nearest town is Barnoldswick, situated 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) south-east of the village. Paythorne is on the edge of the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, although only a small area in the west of the parish is within the area's boundary. The Ribble Way long distance walk passes through the village.
Paythorne is a small village, with not many facilities although it has a pub (the Buck Inn) and a Methodist chapel. A mobile post office serves Gisburn; the nearest permanent Post Office is at Hellifield, 5 miles away. The area surrounding the village consists of several farms, and moorland including Paythorne Moor north of the village.
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book in the 11th century. The meaning of the place name is uncertain, however suggestions have included "a thorn bush beside a pathway" and "a peacock shaped thorn bush". Historically, Paythorne was in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and before it became a parish, it was a township in the parish of Gisburn.
Paythorne Bridge over the River Ribble
Ellenthorpe Farm in southwest of the parish (Thorp)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paythorne.|
- "Map of Paythorne Parish". MARIO. Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "OpenStreetMap". Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- Alan Shepley and Graham Wilkinson (2005). Walking the Ribble Way – A guide from sea to source. Wood Education Programme Trust. ISBN 978-0-9541809-1-1. OCLC 124023932.
- "Parish Council Details: Paythorne Parish Council". Lancashire Parish Portal. Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "Paythorne Tn/CP Yorkshire through time – Descriptive Gazetteer entries". A Vision of Britain through Time. University of Portsmouth & others. 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- "Parish headcount" (PDF). Lancashire Parish Portal. Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- The Borough of Ribble Valley (Electoral Changes) Order 2001. Office of Public Sector Information. 2001-07-13. ISBN 0-11-029681-8. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- MKH Computer Services Ltd. "Pennine Bridleway — LDWA Long Distance Paths". Ldwa.org.uk. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- MKH Computer Services Ltd. "Ribble Way — LDWA Long Distance Paths". Ldwa.org.uk. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
|This Lancashire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|