December 12, 1973 |
Mar del Plata, Argentina
|Genres||Alternative rock, alternative metal|
|Instruments||Violin, bass, piano, vocals, guitar|
|Associated acts||Ana Lenchantin, A Perfect Circle, Brightblack Morning Light, Entrance, Into the Presence, Jarboe, Jenny Lewis, Kaura, Luciano Lenchantin, Melissa Auf der Maur, Papa M, Pixies, Queens of the Stone Age, Silver Jews, Trust Company, Zwan, The Entrance Band|
|1969 Fender Precision Bass|
Paz Lenchantin (born December 12, 1973) is an Argentine American musician. She is currently the bass guitarist, vocalist and violinist of the alternative rock band Pixies. She is known for playing bass or strings with various bands, including Entrance, A Perfect Circle, Zwan, and Queens of the Stone Age.
Lenchantin, who is of Armenian, French and Argentinian ancestry, moved to Los Angeles, California with her family at the age of four. Her father is classical pianist Mario Merdirossian. She speaks fluent Spanish and English. She began playing piano at age five. She then took violin lessons at age eight and taught herself how to play guitar at age twelve. Her sister, Ana Lenchantin is a musician and a frequent collaborator. She also frequently collaborated with her brother Luciano Lenchantin before his death in 2003.
Lenchantin joined Billy Howerdel, Josh Freese, Troy Van Leeuwen, and Maynard James Keenan in the band A Perfect Circle. She contributed to their albums, Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step. Lenchantin later left the group to join with Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin, Matt Sweeney, and David Pajo in the band Zwan. In 2002, Lenchantin, Melissa Auf der Maur (Smashing Pumpkins and Hole), Samantha Maloney, and Radio Sloan (The Need) created a new band called The Chelsea. The all-female supergroup played only one show before going their separate ways. Lenchantin returned to play strings and piano with A Perfect Circle in recording their cover album eMOTIVe, released November 2, 2004 and debuting at #2 on the Billboard 200. She also contributed a solo cover of the song "The Hollow" to A Perfect Circle's CD/DVD release, aMOTION. Since 2005, Lenchantin has been collaborating with The Entrance Band on their album Prayer of Death, as co- producer as well as contributing bass and violin. She also appeared on the previous Entrance album Wandering Stranger (2004). She is now a seemingly permanent member of the Entrance Band. Since 2012 winter, Paz has been touring with Josephine Foster supporting the "Blood Rushing" album promotion. In December 2013, Lenchantin was announced as the new touring bassist for the Pixies, in replacement of founding band member Kim Deal and touring bassist Kim Shattuck, for their 2014 tour. In July 2016, Lenchantin confirmed she was now a full-time member of the Pixies.
Lenchantin also played strings on a song on the Queens of the Stone Age's album, Songs for the Deaf. She has played with David Pajo in Papa M, and contributed fiddle on the Silver Jews record, Tanglewood Numbers. She has toured with RTX/Jennifer Herrema of Royal Trux. In 2002, she performed on Trust Company's album The Lonely Position Of Neutral. In 2005 she played violin on the Kaura track "Dividing Lines". She has also contributed to and toured with Jarboe of Swans. In 2000, she appeared in A Perfect Circle's Judith music video as bassist. Lenchantin also played bass on Brightblack Morning Light's 2006 self-titled album on Matador Records. She worked with director Michael Mann on his film Miami Vice contributing violin on several scenes. She contributed playing strings on Melissa Auf der Maur's first solo album Auf der Maur. In 2008, Paz co-wrote the Ashes Divide song "Denial Waits", and she played violin on Jenny Lewis' second studio album Acid Tongue. She appeared on Into The Presence's 2009 album, playing the bass.
- With A Perfect Circle
- Mer De Noms (2000) (Strings, bass on "Sleeping Beauty")
- Thirteenth Step (2003) (Strings on "Gravity")
- eMOTIVe (2004) (Piano, strings)
- Amotion (2004) (Acoustic guitar, piano, strings)
- With Pixies
- Indie Cindy (2014) (Bass on all deluxe edition live tracks, vocals and bass on Women Of War(Vinyl Exclusive track))
- Head Carrier (2016) (Bass, vocals on All I Think About Now)
- With Ashes Divide
- Keep Telling Myself It's Alright (2008) (Co-writing on "Denial Waits")
- Brightblack Morning Light (2006) (Bass, piano)
- With Entrance
- Wandering Stranger (2004)
- Prayer Of Death (2006) (Bass Guitar; co-producer; violin; vocals)
- The Entrance Band (2009) (Bass)
- Fine Flow (2012) (Bass)
- With Jenny Lewis
- Acid Tongue (2008) (Violin on "Black Sand")
- With Josephine Foster
- Blood Rushing (2012) (Indian flute, bass, violin, vocals)
- With Kaura
- Kaura EP (2005) (Violin on "Dividing Lines")
- With Melissa Auf der Maur
- Auf Der Maur (2004) (Strings)
- Songs For The Deaf (2002) (Strings on "Mosquito Song")
- With Silver Jews
- Tanglewood Numbers (2005) (Fiddle)
- With Trust Company
- The Lonely Position Of Neutral (2002) (Strings, piano on "Hover (Alternate Version)")
- With Zwan
- Mary Star Of The Sea (2003)
- With Jarboe
- The Men Album (2005) (Bass on "Feral" and vocals / strings on "A Woman's Dreams")
Lenchantin has produced two solo albums, both of which were made available through her MySpace page.
- "La Teta de Paz Lenchantindate". Taringa!. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "Paz Lenchantin interview at". Bassgirls.com. 1974-08-21. Archived from the original on July 7, 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- Paz Lenchantin: A Perfect Circle Bassist's New Band & Solo Work, SuicideGirls.com, Dec 12 2006, last retrieved April 22, 2007.
- Josephine Foster at Islington Mill (Salford) on 30 Oct 2012 – Last.fm
- Pixies name Paz Lenchatin as new bassist | News | NME.COM
- PAz Lenchantin official MySpace page, last retrieved April 22, 2007