|City and Commune|
Parroquia Niño Dios de Malloco
|• Alcalde||Manuel Fuentes Rosales (UDI)|
|• Total||69.2 km2 (26.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||342 m (1,122 ft)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||960/km2 (2,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 + 53|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Peñaflor spans an area of 69.2 km2 (27 sq mi) and has 66,619 inhabitants (32,671 men and 33,948 women). Of these, 63,209 (94.9%) lived in urban areas and 3,410 (5.1%) in rural areas. The population grew by 32.8% (16,471 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Peñaflor is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Manuel Fuentes Rosales (UDI), and his council members are:
- Jorge Kellendonk Numhauser (UDI)
- Teresita Acevedo Lara (IND)
- Guillermo Donoso Aguilar (UDI)
- Jorge Navarrete Urzua (PS)
- Juan Plaza Núñez (IND)
- Juan Caroca Suarez (PDC)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Peñaflor is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Denise Pascal (PS) and Gonzalo Uriarte (UDI) as part of the 31st electoral district, (together with Talagante, El Monte, Isla de Maipo, Melipilla, María Pinto, Curacaví, Alhué, San Pedro and Padre Hurtado). The commune is represented in the Senate by Guido Girardi Lavín (PPD) and Jovino Novoa Vásquez (UDI) as part of the 7th senatorial constituency (Santiago-West).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of Peñaflor" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "Municipality of Peñaflor" (in Spanish). Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Official link - Municipality of Peñaflor