|City and Commune|
Avenida Grecia, looking to west
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Carolina Leitao Alvarez-Salamanca (PDC)|
|• Total||54.2 km2 (20.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||4,000/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of Peñalolén|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Peñalolén spans an area of 54.2 km2 (21 sq mi) and has 216,060 inhabitants (105,528 men and 110,532 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population grew by 20.2% (36,279 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
- Area: 54.2 km²
- Population: 238,177 (2006 projection)
- Average annual household income: US$43,856 (PPP, 2006)
- Population below poverty line: 8.7% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 74.35, medium, 26 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.743, 52 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, Peñalolén is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde (mayor) who is directly elected every four years. As of 2012[update], the alcalde is Carolina Leitao (PDC). The communal council has the following members:
- Claudia Mora Vega (RN)
- Marcelo Fierro Yantorno (IND)
- Rogelio Zuñiga Escudero (PDC)
- Juan Urra Rossi (PC)
- Cristian Jofré Delgado (PPD)
- Leonardo Guerra Medina (PPD)
- Estrella Gershanik Frenk (UDI)
- Sergio Guerra Soto (RN)
- Julio Abelleira Figueroa (PS)
- Natalia Garrido Toro (IGUAL)
Since 1984, Peñalolén has had five mayors:
- María Angélica Cristi (1984–1989, appointed by Pinochet)
- Carlos Alarcón (1989–1993, appointed by Aylwin)
- Carlos Echeverría (1993–1996)
- Carlos Alarcón (1997–2004)
- Claudio Orrego (2004-2012)
- Carolina Leitao (2012-Present)
Peñalolén is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Jaime Pilowski (PDC) and José Antonio Kast (UDI) as part of the 24th electoral district (together with La Reina). The commune is represented in the Senate by Manuel José Ossandón (RN) and Carlos Montes (PS) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of Peñalolén" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- Sistema de Información Regional, Ministry of Planning of Chile.
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "Las Trayectorias del Desarrollo Humano en las Comunas de Chile (1994-2003)." UNDP, Gobierno de Chile, Mideplán
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Peñalolén