Peabody High School (Pennsylvania)
|Peabody High School|
|515 N. Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206 Coordinates:
|School district||Pittsburgh Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Maroon and gray|
Peabody High School was a public school in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in the neighborhood of East Liberty. The school opened in 1911 after the renovations of the former Margaretta Street elementary school and was rededicated in honor of Highland Park Doctor Benjamin H. Peabody. After 100 years in operation, the school board of the Pittsburgh Public Schools voted to close the school and graduate its final class in 2011.
The Barack Obama Academy of International Studies 6-12 relocated to the building starting in the 2012-2013 school year. The Peabody name will no longer be used.
- Kevan Barlow - NFL player
- Mike Barnes - NFL player
- Romare Bearden - artist and writer
- Mel Bennett - NBA player
- Kenneth Burke - Literary theorist who had a powerful impact on 20th-century philosophy, aesthetics, criticism, and rhetorical theory 
- Malcolm Cowley - novelist, poet, literary critic and journalist
- Billy Eckstine - singer and bandleader
- George Otto Gey - propagated the HeLa cell line, credited with creating the roller drum and one of the first to ever film cell division.
- Jack Gilbert - poet
- Frank Gorshin - actor and comedian
- Charles Grodin - actor, comedian, author and television talk show host
- Gene Kelly - dancer, actor and choreographer
- David Logan - NFL player
- Lorin Maazel - conductor, violinist and composer
- Michael "Dodo" Marmarosa – jazz pianist
- Zelda Rubinstein - actor,human rights and activist
- Edith S. Sampson - Lawyer, judge and United Nations delegate
- Robert Schmertz - artist
- Bob Smizik - newspaper sportswriter and columnist
- David Stock composer and conductor, founder of the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble
- Burton Tansky - department store executive
- David Tepper - hedge fund manager and philanthropist
- Regis Toomey - actor
- Fritz Weaver - actor
- John Edgar Wideman - writer and professor
- Jonathan Wolken - dancer, co-founder, artistic director of Pilobolus dance company.
- Sostek, Anya (29 May 2011). "Peabody Hosting Last Graduation As It Marks 100th Anniversary". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Cook, Ron (2000-11-25). "Cook: Barlow ensures he will leave Pitt a legend". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
- "Mike Barnes". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved 2007-04-09.
- "Know the Artist: Romare Bearden". Princeton University Art Department. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- "Mel Bennett". Cleveland Cavaliers History Website. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-04-09.
- Dickstein, Bekah Shaia. "Burke, Kenneth". The Pennsylvania Center for the Book. Pennsylvania State University. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
- "The Ghost Inside". Poetry Foundation Web Site. Retrieved 2006-12-04.
- "Biography". The Official Frank Gorshin Web Site. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
- "Biography". The Charles Grodin Fanpage. Archived from the original on 2009-10-25. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
- "Gene Kelly". NNDB. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- "Dave Logan". databasefootball.com. Retrieved 2007-05-03.
- Kohler, Roy (March 6, 1960) "Pittsburgh's Jazz Pianists". The Pittsburgh Press. p. 8.
- Gordon, Kathleen E. "Edith S. Sampson". The Women's Legal History Website. Stanford Law School. Archived from the original on June 12, 2007. Retrieved 2006-12-08.
- Gannon, Joyce (2007-11-18). "Siblings team up to raise $1 billion for Pitt". post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2007-11-18.
- "A kid from Peabody High School" (PDF). Tepper Magazine. Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University. Fall 2004. p. 6. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-09-14. Retrieved 2006-12-08. Check date values in:
- "Regis Toomey Biography". Yahoo! TV. Retrieved 2007-04-09.
- "Fritz Weaver". NNDB. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- Coleman, James W. "John Edgar Wideman - Author Page". e Heath Anthology of American Literature, Fifth Edition. Houghton Mifflin College Division. Retrieved 2006-12-08.