Peabody Township Library
Peabody Township Carnegie Library
Peabody Township Library, 2010
214 N Walnut Street|
Peabody, Kansas, 66866
|Built by||M.R. Stauffer (supervisor)|
|Part of||Peabody Downtown Historic District (#98000590)|
|NRHP reference #||87000959 |
|Added to NRHP||June 25, 1987|
Peabody Township Library, also known under the older name of Peabody Township Carnegie Library, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1987. It is located in the Downtown Historic District of Peabody, Kansas, United States.
In 1875, the original library was constructed. The library was useful but within a few decades of use had become too small.
A committee of the Commercial Club, applied for a Carnegie library grant, and by the spring of 1913, the Carnegie Corporation had agreed to a grant of $10,000. The building plan agreed upon will resemble that of the Carnegie library of Galena, Illinois. The original library building was moved to the Peabody City Park, and the new Carnegie library was built on its site. On April 18, 1914, the doors were open to the public.
Later, the original library was moved again and became the Peabody Historical Library Museum.
Since 2008, two computers have been available for high-speed T1 internet access, and free WiFi access allow patrons to browse the internet. The library is a member of the North Central Kansas Libraries System, which provides an inter-library book loan service between its members.
- List of Carnegie libraries in Kansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Marion County, Kansas
- Peabody Downtown Historic District
- Peabody Historical Library Museum
- The Peabody Gazette-Herald; February 12, 1913 / May 23, 1913 / August 6, 1913 / February 19, 1914 / April 16, 1914 / April 23, 1914.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
- Peabody Township Carnegie Library (new library)
- Peabody Historical Library Museum (old library)
- Peabody Downtown Historic District (library is located in this district)