PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center
|PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center|
PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center in July, 2013.
|Location||400 Northeast Mother Joseph Place, Vancouver, Washington, United States|
|Emergency department||Level II trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Washington|
In 2010, the hospital had about 114,000 emergency department (ED) visits, 27,000 in-patient visits, and 3,000 child births. The ED is the busiest ER north of San Francisco on the west coast, and the birth center is the second busiest obstetrics unit in the Portland metropolitan area. The sleep center is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The hospital is accredited by the joint commission, and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). The cardiovascular rehabilitation program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center was founded in 1858 by Mother Joseph Pariseau. It is the oldest hospital in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Originally named St. Joseph Community Hospital and then Southwest Washington Medical Center, the hospital opened at its present location in 1972 and merged with PeaceHealth in 2010 and was renamed PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center. The entire PeaceHealth system has 15,000 employees and about $2 billion in revenue. In August 2012, PeaceHealth announced plans to merge with Catholic Health Initiative. If the merger became official, the newly formed organization would have a total of 26,000 employees, 16 hospitals, and nearly $4 billion in revenue. This building is located at 400 NE Mother Joseph Place in Vancouver, WA 98664.
In 2010, the hospital began a bloodless surgery program for community members, such as Jehovah's Witnesses, that refuse blood products. In 2011, the hospital received $1.2 million in grants for the cardiology department, the neuroscience institute, and the behavioral health program.
Graduate Medical Education
The HealthGrades website contains much rating data for this hospital. Twelve patient safety indicators are listed. Two of the indicators in the latest rating were worse than average, five were average and five were better than average. Much data was collected from patient experience surveys. One question asked how high the patient would rate the hospital. 75% of PeaceHealth patients gave the hospital a nine or ten versus 69% of all patients from all other hospitals in the United States. Another group of data provided in-hospital outcomes for a number of procedures from the last data collection period. One outcome was worse than expected for one type of procedure, the hospital received as expected outcomes for thirty procedure types and it received better than expected outcomes for five procedure types.
- "Facts and Figures". PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center". Washington State Hospital Association. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Family Medicine of Southwest Washington". Department of Family Medicine. University of Washington. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Sleep Center". PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "Southwest Washington Medical Center". US News & World Report. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Harshman, Marissa (January 19, 2012). "PeaceHealth Southwest cardiac program earns certification". The Columbian. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Stroke Certification Programs". The Joint Commission.
- Corvin, Aaron (December 8, 2010). "Southwest, PeaceHealth finalize merger". The Columbian. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Hunsberger, Brent (August 20, 2012). "PeaceHealth to merge with Colorado's Catholic Health Initiatives". The Oregonian. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Harshman, Marissa (February 6, 2012). "PeaceHealth Southwest addresses those who refuse blood transfusions". The Columbian. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Harshman, Marissa (December 24, 2011). "PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center lands $1.2M in grants". The Columbian. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- HealthGrades website, at http://www.healthgrades.com/hospital-directory/washington-wa/peacehealth-southwest-medical-center-hgst09ea6bc6500050 .