Peace in the Valley (EP)
|Peace in the Valley|
|EP by Elvis Presley|
|Recorded||January 12, 13 & 19, 1957|
Peace in the Valley is an extended play single by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, released on RCA Victor Records in mono, catalogue number EPA 4054, in April 1957. The recordings included were taken from sessions on January 12, 13, and 19 at Radio Recorders in Hollywood, California. It reached number three on the short-lived Billboard EP chart, and number three on the album chart, and number 39 on the singles chart.
By the 1950s, Presley's hometown of Memphis, Tennessee had become a center for gospel music in the United States. Presley grew up listening to this music, and maintained an abiding love for gospel singing his entire life. This EP initiated Presley's commercial presentation of this interest. Presley would go on to make many more recordings of spiritual music, including the issue of the gospel albums His Hand In Mine, How Great Thou Art, and He Touched Me.
All four selections are gospel classics, including two by Thomas A. Dorsey 'the father of black gospel'. The four songs are all reverential in spirit, rather than celebratory, uptempo gospel songs. Six months after the appearance of this EP, the four songs issued here would be added to eight recordings of Christmas songs for his first holiday album.
- Elvis Presley – lead vocals (All tracks), acoustic guitar (All tracks)
- The Jordanaires - background vocals (All tracks)
- Scotty Moore – electric guitar (All tracks)
- Dudley Brooks – piano (track A2)
- Gordon Stoker - piano (tracks A1, B1-B2), Jordanaires group member (All tracks)
- Hoyt Hawkins - organ (track A2), Jordanaires group member (All tracks)
- Bill Black – bass (All tracks)
- D. J. Fontana – drums (All tracks)
- Neal Matthews - Jordanaires group member (All tracks)
- Hugh Jarrett - Jordanaires group member (All tracks)
|1.||"(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)"||Thomas A. Dorsey||January 13, 1957||3:22|
|2.||"It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)"||Stuart Hamblen||January 19, 1957||3:53|
|1.||"I Believe"||Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl, Al Stillman||January 12, 1957||2:05|
|2.||"Take My Hand, Precious Lord"||Thomas A. Dorsey||January 13, 1957||3:16|
- Wolfe, Charles. Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances. RCA 66421-2, 1994, liner notes, p. 8
- Jorgensen, Ernst. Elvis Presley A Life in Music: The Complete Recording Sessions. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1998; p. 84.
- "Elvis Presley Recording Sessions: January 13, 1957". Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley Pages. http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/570113.html
- "Elvis Presley Recording Sessions: January 19, 1957". Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley Pages. http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/570119.html
- "Elvis Presley Recording Sessions: January 12, 1957". Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley Pages. http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/570112.html
|This gospel music article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|