Peace in the Valley (EP)
|Peace in the Valley|
|Recorded||January 12, 13 & 19, 1957|
|Elvis Presley chronology|
Peace in the Valley is an EP by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, released in April 1957 on RCA Victor Records in mono with catalogue number EPA 4054. It reached number three on the short-lived Billboard EP chart, number three on the album chart and number 39 on the singles chart.
By the 1950s, Presley's hometown of Memphis, Tennessee had become a center for gospel music in the United States. Presley grew up listening to this music, and maintained an abiding love for gospel singing his entire life. This EP initiated Presley's commercial presentation of this interest. Presley would go on to make many more recordings of spiritual music, including the issue of the gospel albums His Hand In Mine, How Great Thou Art, and He Touched Me.
The recordings included on the EP were taken from sessions on January 12, 13, and 19 at Radio Recorders in Hollywood, California. All four selections are gospel classics, including two by Thomas A. Dorsey 'the father of black gospel'. The four songs are all reverential in spirit, rather than celebratory, uptempo gospel songs. Six months after the appearance of this EP, the four songs issued here would be added to eight recordings of Christmas songs for his first holiday album.
|1.||"(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)"||Thomas A. Dorsey||January 13, 1957||3:22|
|2.||"It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)"||Stuart Hamblen||January 19, 1957||3:53|
|1.||"I Believe"||January 12, 1957||2:05|
|2.||"Take My Hand, Precious Lord"||Dorsey||January 13, 1957||3:16|
- Elvis Presley – lead vocals on all tracks, acoustic guitar on all tracks
- The Jordanaires - background vocals on all tracks
- Scotty Moore – electric guitar on all tracks
- Dudley Brooks – piano on "It Is No Secret"
- Gordon Stoker - piano on "Peace in the Valley", "I Believe" and "Take My Hand, Precious Lord", Jordanaires group member on all tracks
- Hoyt Hawkins - organ on "It Is No Secret", Jordanaires group member on all tracks
- Bill Black – bass on all tracks
- D. J. Fontana – drums on all tracks
- Neal Matthews - Jordanaires group member on all tracks
- Hugh Jarrett on - Jordanaires group member on all tracks
- Wolfe, Charles. Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances. RCA 66421-2, 1994, liner notes, p. 8
- Jorgensen, Ernst. Elvis Presley A Life in Music: The Complete Recording Sessions. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1998; p. 84.
- "Elvis Presley Recording Sessions: January 13, 1957". Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley Pages. http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/570113.html
- "Elvis Presley Recording Sessions: January 19, 1957". Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley Pages. http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/570119.html
- "Elvis Presley Recording Sessions: January 12, 1957". Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley Pages. http://keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/570112.html