Pearcea is a South American genus of 17 species of tropical herbs in the flowering plant family Gesneriaceae. It is classified in tribe Gloxinieae and is closely related to the genus Kohleria, in which some of its species were previously included. The genus Parakohleria has recently been synonymized under Pearcea, a conclusion later supported by molecular analyses that showed that Pearcea hypocyrtiflora was nested within the former Parakohlerias.
The best-known and most widely cultivated species is Pearcea hypocyrtiflora, a low-growing herb with attractively marked leaves and unusual bubble-like red or orange flowers.
- Pearcea abunda (Wiehler) L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea bilabiata L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea cordata L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea glabrata L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea gracilis L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea grandifolia L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea hispidissima (Wiehler) L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea intermedia L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea hypocyrtiflora (Hook. f.) Regel
- Pearcea pileifolia J.L. Clark & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea purpurea (Poepp.) L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea reticulata (Fritsch) L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea rhodotricha (Cuatrec.) L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea schimpfii Mansf.
- Pearcea sprucei (Britton) L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- Pearcea strigosa L.P. Kvist & L.E. Skog
- The Plant List: A Working List of All Plant Species, retrieved October 1, 2015
- Roalson, E.H., J.K. Boggan, L.E. Skog, & E.A. Zimmer. 2005. Untangling the Gloxinieae (Gesneriaceae). I. Phylogenetic patterns and generic boundaries inferred from nuclear, chloroplast, and morphological cladistic data sets. Taxon 54 (2): 389-410.
- Wiehler, H. 1978. Parakohleria, a new South American genus in the Gesneriaceae. Selbyana 5(1): 4-10.
- Kvist, L.P. & L.E. Skog. 1996. Revision of Pearcea (Gesneriaceae). Smithsonian Contrib. Bot. 84: 1-47 (pdf file).
|This Gesneriaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|