Hilary Weston Writers' Trust Prize for Nonfiction
First established in 1997, the award's original corporate sponsor was Viacom. Pearson Canada, an educational book publishing company, took over the award in 1999, and Nereus Financial, a stock brokerage, became the sponsor from 2006 to 2008. After Nereus dropped its sponsorship, the award had no corporate sponsor until 2011, when philanthropist and former Lieutenant Governor of Ontario Hilary Weston was announced as the award's new sponsor.
Nominees and winners
|1997||Ernest Hillen, Small Mercies: A Boy After War|
|1998||Rudy Wiebe and Yvonne Johnson, Stolen Life: The Journey of a Cree Woman|
|1999||Modris Eksteins, Walking Since Daybreak: A Story of Eastern Europe, World War II and the Heart of our Century|
|2000||Erna Paris, Long Shadows: Truth, Lies and History||
|2001||Clark Blaise, Time Lord|
|2002||Jake MacDonald, Houseboat Chronicles: Notes from a Life in Shield Country|
|2003||Brian Fawcett, Virtual Clearcut, or The Way Things Are in My Hometown|
|2004||Elaine Dewar, The Second Tree: Of Clones, Chimeras, and Quests for Immortality||
|2005||John Vaillant, The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness and Greed||
|2006||Dragan Todorovic, The Book of Revenge||
|2007||Anna Porter, Kasztner's Train: The True Story of Rezso Kasztner, Unknown Hero of the Holocaust|
|2008||Taras Grescoe, Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood||
|2009||Brian Brett, Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life||
|2010||James FitzGerald, What Disturbs Our Blood: A Son's Quest to Redeem the Past||
|2011||Charles Foran, Mordecai: The Life & Times||
|2012||Candace Savage, A Geography of Blood: Unearthing Memory from a Prairie Landscape|
|2013||Graeme Smith, The Dogs Are Eating Them Now: Our War in Afghanistan||
|2014||Naomi Klein, This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate||
|2015||Rosemary Sullivan, Stalin’s Daughter: The Extraordinary and Tumultuous Life of Svetlana Alliluyeva||
- "Writers' Trust non-fiction prize bumped up to $60,000". The Globe and Mail, May 11, 2011.
- M.A. Orthofer, "Writers' Trust of Canada Prize for Non-Fiction ", complete review, 26 October 2011.
- "Nominees for Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize for Non-Fiction announced". National Post, September 20, 2011.
- "Candace Savage’s prairie meditation takes Writers’ Trust Nonfiction Prize". Toronto Star, November 12, 2012.
- "Hilary Weston Prize 2014: The shortlist revealed!". CBC Books, September 17, 2014.
- "Naomi Klein wins 2014 Hilary Weston Prize". CBC Books, October 14, 2014.
- "Douglas Coupland, Rosemary Sullivan among Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize for Non-fiction finalists". Quill & Quire, September 16, 2015.
- "Biography of Stalin’s daughter wins Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize". The Globe and Mail, October 6, 2015.