Pebbles, Volume 1 (ESD Records)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Pebbles, Volume 1|
|Genre||Garage rock, psychedelic rock|
Pebbles, Volume 1 is a compilation album among the CDs in the Pebbles series and is actually the first CD to be released in the series. This is a different album from the Pebbles, Volume 1 CD that was released by AIP Records in 1992.
This album was released by ESD Records in 1989 as #ESD-80252.
Along with several photos of dancing teenage girls dressed in a variety of 1960's fashions, the booklet features an essay called "Teenage Lust", the subject of many of the songs on this album. The author is Nigel Strange, editor of a fanzine called The Web of Sound, who also provided the liner notes on several of the early LPs in the Pebbles series that were released by BFD Records.
Notes on the tracks
Although the album was compiled by AIP Records, most of the tracks are different from those on the original Pebbles, Volume 1 LP or its reissue on CD. Only the ubiquitous "Beaver Patrol" is on all three albums; "It's Your Time" was also included as a bonus track on the CD. Many of the tracks are new to Pebbles or are included only on the higher-numbered volumes in the series (or the Highs in the Mid-Sixties series).
This CD features the rare original version of "Let's Talk About Girls" (later recorded by the Chocolate Watch Band, among others). There are also songs by two strong garage rock bands, the Hysterics and the Bold, that are well represented on other compilation albums, including others in the Pebbles series. The Belles provide an ingenious takeoff on Van Morrison's "Gloria"; similar all-female garage rock bands are featured in the Girls in the Garage series.
- The Others: "I Can't Stand This Love, Goodbye", 2:07
- The Bold: "Gotta Get Some", 2:28
- The Knaves: "Girl I Threw Away", 2:32
- King's Ransom: "Shame", 2:06
- Sinners: "Nice Try", 2:10
- The Bougalieu: "Let's Do Wrong", 1:45
- Nervous Breakdowns: "I Dig Your Mind", 1:44
- The Endd: "Out of My Hands", 2:42
- The Hysterics: "Everything's There", 2:13
- Fallen Angels: "Bad Woman", 2:07
- The Emperors: "I Want My Woman", 2:35
- MG and the Escorts: "A Someday Fool", 2:30
- Kim and Grim: "You Don't Love Me", 2:16
- The Belles: "Melvin", 2:26
- The Hangmen: "What a Girl Can't Do", 2:24
- The Gentlemen: "It's a Cry'n Shame", 2:28
- Byron and the Mortals: "Do You Believe Me?", 2:11
- Bohemian Vendetta: "Enough", 2:39
- Kama Del Sutra: "She Taught Me Love", 2:14
- The Sparkles: "No Friend of Mine", 2:19
- Stoics: "Enough of What I Need", 2:12
- The Wild Knights: "Beaver Patrol", 2:18
- The Tongues of Truth: "Let's Talk About Girls", 2:35
- The Weeds: "It's Your Time", 2:16
- Robin and the Seven Hoods: "I Wanna Do It", 1:53