|Alma mater||University of California, Irvine (MS, PhD) |
Instituto Superior Técnico - University of Lisbon (MS, Licentiate)
|Known for||The Master Algorithm|
|Awards||SIGKDD Innovation Award (2014) |
AAAI Fellowship (2010)
Sloan Fellowship (2003)
Fulbright Scholarship (1992-1997)
|Fields||Artificial intelligence |
|Institutions||University of Washington|
|Thesis||A Unified Approach to Concept Learning (1997)|
|Doctoral advisor||Dennis F. Kibler|
Domingos received an undergraduate degree and Master of Science degree from Instituto Superior Técnico (IST). He moved to the University of California, Irvine, where he received a Master of Science degree and followed by PhD.
Research and career
After spending two years as an assistant professor at IST, he joined the University of Washington as an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering in 1999 and became a full professor in 2012. He started working for D.E. Shaw in 2018.
- 2015: The Master Algorithm
- 2015: (with Abram Friesen). Recursive Decomposition for Nonconvex Optimization. IJCAI 2015 Distinguished Paper Award.
- 2011: (with Hoifung Poon). Sum-Product Networks: A New Deep Architecture. UAI 2011 Best Paper Award..
- 2009: (with Hoifung Poon). Unsupervised Semantic Parsing. EMNLP 2009 Best Paper Award.
- 2005: (with Parag Singla). Object Identification with Attribute-Mediated Dependences. PKDD 2005 Best Paper Award.
- 1999: MetaCost: A General Method for Making Classifiers Cost-Sensitive. SIGKDD 1999 Best Paper Award for Fundamental Research.
- 1998: Occam's Two Razors: The Sharp and the Blunt. SIGKDD 1998 Best Paper Award for Fundamental Research.
Awards and honors
- 2014: ACM SIGKDD Innovation Award. for his foundational research in data stream analysis, cost-sensitive classification, adversarial learning, and Markov logic networks, as well as applications in viral marketing and information integration.
- 2010: Elected an Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) Fellow. For significant contributions to the field of machine learning and to the unification of first-order logic and probability.
- 2003: Sloan Fellowship
- 1992-1997:Fulbright Scholarship
- Domingos, Pedro (2015). The Master Algorithm: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will Remake Our World. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 978-0-465-06570-7. OCLC 1039158596.
- Pedro Domingos publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Pedro Domingos on the Arms Race in Artificial Intelligence". spiegel.de. Der Spiegel.
- Domingos, Pedro; Pazzani, Michael (1997). "On the Optimality of the Simple Bayesian Classifier under Zero-One Loss". Machine Learning. 29 (2/3): 103–130. doi:10.1023/A:1007413511361. ISSN 0885-6125.
- Domingos, Pedro. "Pedro Domingos". Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Pedro Domingos | Computer Science & Engineering". www.cs.washington.edu. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- 2014 SIGKDD Innovation Award: Pedro Domingos
- "Elected AAAI Fellows". aaai.org.